2nd hands

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ETID, Aug 18, 2009.

1. ETID macrumors regular

which second hand mac do you think is better:

2.0ghz, 2gb, 9400m unibody macbook

or

2.33ghz, 2gb, ATI pre-unibody macbook pro

Uses are general uni stuff, matlab, logic, light games and video encoding and LOADS of Iplayer, 4oD, megavideo etc.

Both go for similar prices on ebay i.e £550-£650, i'm leaning towards the unibody as it s newer but the pro seems like quite a deal too.

thoughts?

2. ETID thread starter macrumors regular

One of the main things I want to make sure of is NOISE! I had a c2d white macbook and the slightest use of online video e.g iplayer made the fans go in excess of 6000rpm - very noisy!

I used my girlfriends uni-macbook and no noise what so ever. So just wondered if a macbook pro from the same time as my white one i.e 2007 would make as much noise as a white macbook.

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

The Unibody MacBook is far and away the better choice. Even the Mobility X1600 in the MacBook Pro is just marginally faster than the integrated 9400M in the Unibody MacBook.

Better Design
    Better Battery
    AppleCare Potential
    LED Backlight

Choice is obvious.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Go unibody - it will hold value longer (thinking resale on the other end).

Also, you can max out the ram in the MB and see a nice jump in performance for not much money.

5. ETID thread starter macrumors regular

Will most likely go unibody then unless a great mbp deal comes up. To be honest both look to be great machines that will suit my needs.

>>To the post above mine - wtf?

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well whatever that'll work for you is better. I typically get something under warranty.

It's a spammer. Next time just report it, as it'll get deleted in no time, and poster 2 posts above would say, wtf back. =p

7. Belm macrumors regular

Check out the refurb section on apple.com. They've got the new 13" MBP for $999 in the U.S.

8. ETID thread starter macrumors regular

Refurbs in UK are just a shade over what I want to spend plus need an audio in port which I believe the newer mbp 13" dont have. Does look very nice though... :)