2nd Hard Drive, best format?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heisenberg123, Feb 10, 2014.

1. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I have a 1TB HDD in my optical bay, is exFat the best format to use for both OSX and Windows 8 to read and write to it?

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Yes.

3. guineaphinea macrumors newbie

+1 for exFAT. Use it with all of my external drives and have no cross-platform problems.

Be aware that exFAT is not journaled so a power loss or disconnection during a write could cause data loss/corruption. Just be sure to safely eject and you should be good. Again, I've never had a problem but the possibility is there.

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

I think that Bootcamp includes HFS drivers. I have a 500GB HDD in an optibay with 2 partitions. One is a 250GB NTFS for windows boot and the other is a 250GB HFS+ for shared space. It works perfectly for me.

Regards
    Raptor

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

A word of caution here, and this is my opinion only. Others' may differ.

If you are going to be storing important data on the drive, I would suggest that you DO NOT use a "cross-platform" format scheme (i.e., one that is also readable on a PC).

Stick with HFS+ (which will limit you to use on the Mac only, unless you install some additional software on the Windows side).

The reason is that it's all too easy for the drive to become corrupted. I've read numerous cases of users with a cross-platform drive, who took it to the PC, and, POOF! -- the data was gone.

Again -- for storing important Mac files, use a Mac-formatted drive.

Get a SECOND DRIVE (or a large-capacity flash drive) to be cross-formatted. Fewer chances for disaster...

Again, this is my opinion only.

6. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks,. no nothing important its stickly a storage drive for movies, music and photos only, I also clone this drive to an external often