2nd HD Problems/ Unable to write/format

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crzyrio, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Hey,

So I've had a SSD and HDD in my Macbook pro for a few years now, but recently I decided to go ahead and upgrade the HDD in the optical bay to 1TB. I bought a WD Blue drive, moved the old one into a USB enclosure and put the 1TB in the optibay.

But for some reason I am having a LOT of problems with it :S. I am unable to format the HDD in the optibay, I had to format it by putting it in the enclosure. I am getting LOADS of permission issues, I can write anything to it. I have searched high and low and all the answers don't seem to work.

I ordered another caddy to replace the cable and hoping its that, but will take a few days to get it. Any other ideas on what it could be? It is getting very frustrating.

2. Taz Mangus, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I would say if you remove the hard drive and install it in an external enclosure and it works properly like that then it is probably the drive cable that is the issue.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I agree that it is probably the caddy. If you want to be bothered, another good test would be to reinstall the old HDD in the caddy to see if it still works ok or does it now act up.

4. Crzyrio thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry for the late reply guys, it is actually in my sisters so had to get a hold of her to remove it.

So I tried placing the old hard drive back and everything works perfectly with it.

I took out the 1TB Hard drive and placed it into a brand new USB Enclosure and tried it on 2 Macs and they both have the same problem, unable to write anything to it.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Looks like new 1TB WD Blue drive is the problem. Time to contact the vendor you purchased it from. Good work narrowing things down.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

It does sound though like the drive is going into read/only mode, it can do that as a defensive measure against interface errors, swapping the interface components is the only way to troubleshoot. Once you have it all back together and working, just check the CRC errors in the Smart status (I use DriveDX), for the drive and make sure they aren't increasing.

7. Crzyrio thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, thats the only thing left :|. Tried all solutions google gave as well.

Thanks. Will download DriveDX and give it a last shot.