iMac Pro 2nd iMac Pro Died

Discussion in 'iMac' started by andyt1979, Mar 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. andyt1979 macrumors newbie

andyt1979

My second iMac Pro has just died! With exactly the same problem as my first. Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

Everything works fine and performs great for a few weeks, the first iMac Pro around 5 weeks the second 2 weeks.

One day the iMac is powered on and nothing happens, the screen is dead, no apple logo, no OS. I have tried to reset the smc, boot up in safe mode etc. But nothing.

The Mac is hooked up to 2 LG ultra fine 5k displays via thunderbolt 3, a Lacie 6big raid via Thunderbolt 3 and a belkin thunderbolt 2 express dock HD using an official apple thunderbolt 3 to 2 adaptor.

When turned on the drives hooked up cycle and make a noise but the iMac screen does nothing. The LG displays do nothing.

The same setup works fine with my 2017 15 MacBook Pro.

Does anyone have any ideas/help? Apple solution is just to provide me with a new Mac with a 3-5 week delay but never fully diagnose the problem.

2. RimasM macrumors newbie

3. andyt1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

andyt1979

I am doing my best!!!

4. filmak macrumors 65816

If you disconnect everything?
    Do you have an UPS?

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I wonder if this has something to do with the "secure enclave" chip inside.

I would try this:
    - Disconnect ALL external devices
    - If you use a UPS, disconnect that as well.

Does this change anything?

6. bxs macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine has had this issue. It was an 8-core basic model purchased from Microcenter with the $1000 discount.

7. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

How about getting the powersupply, earthing of your house or office checked by a professional? Even a faulty socket can cause an issue.
    You can also try getting a good wality spike-guard strip to plug in your iMac Pro.

8. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

I can see this happening once with a new product...but two times to the same guy? You're cursed!

9. TGB macrumors newbie

TGB

My 10core edition has been running without any issues since late December. It is on 24/7, also using UPS. If I were you I would check the power-system, something is wrong. There is just no way you got 2 defective computers.

10. andyt1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

andyt1979

--- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2018 ---
    Thanks for the reply. My house is less than 18 months old and the Mac/equipment is protected from surges/spikes. My MacBook Pro and displays operate fine in the same scenario. I wonder if it could be something to do with the boot system of the iMac Pro's T2 chip?

11. filmak macrumors 65816

You may have protected it from surges and spikes, but from high and low voltage or frequency etc issues not.
    You need a good UPS to protect your investment, it is worth it, I ensure you.
    It is a minimal expense when compared to your iMac Pro, anyway...

12. Mac32 Suspended

Exactly. The odds are just crazy low for something like that to happen.