2nd iPad how should I set it up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Starbucker, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Starbucker macrumors member

Ok before I screw it up, how should I go about accomplishing shared apps between my two iPads? Here is the setup:

I have a 27 iMac with separate user accounts (one for me and one for the wife).

I have MobileMe sync on the two accounts.

I have my iTunes in a public shared folder on my IMac that my wifes iTunes reads/writes from so we don't have multiple copies of media. I also have home sharing on but really don't know what advantage that makes.

Both my wife and my itunes account access the same iTunes store with the same login/password.

I'd like to sync her new IPad with her ITunes account. Would I have any issues? Also I want to share the apps I have already purchased. How would you recommend proceeding or reconfiguring? Thanks for any tips.

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

I'm a bit confused by what you mean there. If I understand correctly, you're saying you and your wife share the same iTunes account but for the new iPad you wish to give her a separate iTunes account?
    Whatever it may be, if you set up the new iPad with the same iTunes username and password, you can repurchase the applications you already own for no charge. If you were to sign up for a new account, you will then have to pay for the apps you may already own in the other iTunes account. Purchases are linked to the iTunes account which is maintained by Apple database/servers, it is not linked to your computer.
    I hope that helps - do let me know if I am way off in answering your question, I'll try to better help then.

3. Starbucker thread starter macrumors member

Yes we both use the same online iTunes account, login and password. So it sounds like I should just be able to sync it with her iTunes account and the iTunes account won't care which user is accessing it or if both are simultaneously.

Just to clarify, we have each of our iTunes databases separate within each user account so our playlists, etc. are different on the iMac, but we BOTH acces the iTunes store with the same login and password.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Yes, you should just be able to sync it then. Apple doesn't limit the number of iOS devices that access the same iTunes account. They only limit, I believe, a total of 6 computers that the iOS device can sync up with (this is why you see a "Authorize Computer" under Advanced in iTunes). Till the time your username and password to download or purchase the applications/music/etc from the iTunes store remains the same - same purchases would not charge you twice.
    Currently I have it set up like such with my iPad and my iPod Touch. Of course, many devs like to charge you more for an iPad version for the App hence it's not universal and ends up being a different and new purchase altogether.

5. Davydd macrumors regular

As long as you are sharing an iTunes account name and password you can share apps, iBooks and iTunes files. Your iPads will be distinct for mail and for customization for choosing what you want to sync or put on your iPad. If you purchase and download a new app on your iPad it will sync to the second iPad the next time you sync iPads. Sometimes you have to sync iPad #1 twice if iPad #2 has something you want, i.e. sync #1, then #2 and then #1 again. If you are out and about, say traveling, and one of you purchases a new app or iBook the other iPad can also download it at no charge as long as you are sharing that same iTunes account. A reminder message will come up telling you this when you start a download the other iPad has. My wife and I do this. We do the same with Barnes & Noble Nook ebooks using one account. We started out with separate Amazon.com accounts so those ebooks do not sync across our two iPads.

6. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

this can be turned off in the app section of the iPad when connected to itunes.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

As annoying as that may be to some, I believe the person you quoted listed it as a benefit, not a drawback.