2nd iPhone 3g bricked after 4.02 update!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hsotnicam8002, Aug 19, 2010.

1. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

After my own iPhone 3G was bricked after updating to iOS4.02, now my wife's is too. I ended up having to do the update (restore) from another computer. My wife's update has been through her own computer, not any of mine, so no common issues were possible - EXCEPT THAT APPLE HAS OBVIOUSLY FOOKED UP! This is after a bricked update to 3.2.1 on my iPad which still has youtube issues and WiFi intermittent troubles. I'm getting weary with Apple. They have too few fingers in too many pies! :mad:

2. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

You know what will solve this issue????.....

Not having a 2 year old idevice....seriously, get rid of'em, and get a 3GS or something....

4. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

that is the lamest reasoning ever.

a new iphone comes out every single year. not everyone can be expected to buy it every year.

a device should have a longer lifespan than that

5. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

But you have a three year old touch?

6. hsotnicam8002 thread starter macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

I don't need your idiotic advice.

These phones are on two year contracts that end April 2011. When Apple say that updating to iOS4 is OK for the 3G (excepting one or two functions) then I assume that is the case.

Apple are on their way down and imo it's only a matter of time until they become the slap-happy Microsoft.

7. hsotnicam8002 thread starter macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Thanks for the reply. I have been through that - know DFU like the back of my hand - iphone, iphone, ipad! With my own iphone and the ipad I had to do clean restores on a different computer and then waste time reinstalling and rearranging into folders - what a pain. It's not like the folders system works well anyway - they jump around and you have to rename them and you can't see whats in them and ..... I wondered why I bothered in the first place.

8. hsotnicam8002 thread starter macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Exactly. My iphone is as new and I opted for an ipad in the second year of my expected iphone two year life. I wouldn't get a 3GS now anyway and the iPhone 4 seems too early with its troubles. By the time my contract is ready for renewal I hope the iPhone 4 will have been sorted out.

9. Swampthing macrumors 6502

Swampthing

I always LOVE this response from folks ranting about their problems in these forums! If you didn't want advice, why did you even bother posting your problems here anyway? :rolleyes: :confused:

10. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Did you read what iphone1105 wrote?

11. hsotnicam8002 thread starter macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

I don't take 'get a new device' as advice but a worthless comment from an unknowledgeable big-mouth. Anyone who knows what they are talking about realises that the 3G was on sale new from Apple and other suppliers until just a few months ago.

12. hsotnicam8002 thread starter macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Some of these people don't read, they just write. ;) If only what they wrote was of value.:(

13. WilliamG macrumors 604

If you managed to "brick" (which you didn't) your iPhone 3Gs, chances are you did it wrong. Perhaps your computer is malfunctioning? I've upgraded several iPhone 3Gs to iOS4 with no trouble, so I'm sure the problem is isolated.

14. hsotnicam8002 thread starter macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Strange how all previous updates were fine. And also strange how redoing the whole thing on a different computer worked. Also, you obviously aren't aware of the enormous number of people who have posted on the internet with the same or similar problems. I'm not a PC, Mac, iPhone or iPad novice. Dare I say that my first mac was in 1987! 'Bricked' it would have been should I have been John Doe who watches TV for a living and uses the Talking Tom app for education! Apple products are supposed to be state of the art in terms of simplicity of use. Not any more!

Anyway, my wife's 3G has been through three cycles of update with a black screen at the end of the first two. The third updated successfully and it's now restoring from a backup. It's been nearly two hours (still not completed backing up) not counting the 400+Mb download time on the 1Mb/sec broadband here in the outback (that is better than most of the world actually - for those in the US the rest of the world is most of the world's population that is not American ;) ). So it looks as though her phone will be ready for her to take to work in the morning (well it IS the morning now!).

Thanks for the HELPFUL comments. The rest, eat sheet!

15. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Well considering your two year old device deosn't even have RAM to run most apps properly, then yeah, your gear is old....also it's called resale buddy, I flipped my 3G on ebay for $200, paid for an entire new iP4. You too, can do the same, not that hard and you'll have a phone that can do stuff

Really? Yeah ignore my new macbook and ip4 in the sig. You sir deserve a cookie! You got me :rolleyes:

If you dont want advice, why post for anyone to read and give you some?

Big mouth? I didnt even use my mouth to make the comment, I wrote it. I'm a BIG WRITER. Also, just because they sold it doesnt mean its not old. I can still go to a ford delaership and get a mint 09 model, but it's still old...no?

No I read it,and my comment was to update his tech, which he could if he just sold his two phones, which isn't hard nor difficult to do. But yeah, I'm the dumbass

16. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Well you said, "get rid of them" so get rid of your touch and upgrade to a new one then