2nd iPhone 4 Works Perfect for Me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

So I did the pre order from Apple on the 15th, received my unit at the Apple store on the 24th. The unit I had received was laden with issues so when I went to the Apple store on the 27th, instead of replacing it for me, they suggested I live with it or return it, so I gave it back.

Best Buy calls me yesterday and tells me that my Pre-Order came in, so made the appointment for 7:30 went to the store setup the phoen connected to my work email and MobileMe and YAY! this one works like a champ, no antenna issues, singal everywhere, no yellow dots, no freezing up, it just works the way an iPhone should...:rolleyes:

I wonder if they have certain batches with problems and others that were maybe made better, who knows but now I have a working i4 and I am happy.

2. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

3. jalpert macrumors 6502

There are a lot of broken phones out there, probably too many. With that being said instead of using tape, or nail polish, or making a youtube video or a blog post, I wish people would just go to apple and get a working replacement.

We had a phone where when you hold it by the notches near the bottom of the case, the phone lost signal down to 1 bar and dropped calls all the time. Got a replacement and now it works great. I know it can be frustrating getting a replacement, or sometimes even two, but I think it's all blown out of proportion. There are also a lot of people who got working phones the first time.

In the OP's case, getting a replacement was the right thing to do.

4. Mfear macrumors member

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I've had 2 replacements (one from Apple Store one from Apple.com), they all do it in some places and not in others. It's ALL related to the signal you are getting at any given time.

Your phone that you just got, will eventually do the same IMO.

Placebo effect also makes the phone seem better.

The only good thing about replacing the phone is it makes Apple more aware of how many people are willing to do something.

6. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Too bad those people are losers and will swallow anything Apple feeds them.

No one should accept a broken phone. It´s that simple.

7. jalpert macrumors 6502

The previous phone couldn't last 5 minutes without cutting out or dropping the call. Been using the new phone a day and not a single dropped call. There is more going on here than a placebo effect.

8. diabolic macrumors 68000

If my phone was actually doing something that showed any indication that it was broken, I'd return it immediately.

There is no placebo effect here. I rely on my phone for my business, and I couldn't put up with losing signal and constantly dropping calls.

I'd be the first one in the return line if i was having any issues.

9. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Glad to see one sane person here.

10. ballen420 macrumors 6502

No placebo effect for me. I had terrible reception issues at my house and couldn't make a call without it dropping or having a garbled conversation with someone. Never had that issue with the OG, 3G, or 3GS at my house.

Returned my week 22 phone that I preordered from AT&T to the Apple Store yesterday and now I can make calls from my house. This is a week 24 phone.

Aside from the 'death grip' issues, this leads me to believe there are certainly other antenna issues out there. I'm going to knock on wood, but so far, so good.

11. zoman504 macrumors regular

How did you do an exchange? Did you schedule an appointment? Did they give you any resistance, or did you just state you were unhappy and wanted a replacement?

12. ballen420 macrumors 6502

I scheduled an appointment through the Apple Store app on my phone. Told him I was having general reception issues where calls were dropping or I wouldn't be able to hear the person on the other end in places my old phones always worked (my house). Told him it wasn't related to the 'death grip' and asked him if he could run a diagnostics test to see if there is an issue with my phone so I could find out if it was that specific phone, or if weaker reception was just a problem in general with the new iphone.

He immediately offered to swap it out for a new one. I didn't even ask - he just said the phone shouldn't be any worse, and if I had any other issues to come back in. Nice and pleasant experience.

13. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

How are you guys determining the weeks of these phones?

14. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

from the serial number...

4th and 5th number is the week...;)

15. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

All I can say is instead of getting frustrated, go back to Apple and make them replace it, no one should live with problems regardless of what they paid, it is a tool just like a Hammer without a handle is useless a broken i4 is useless.

Just don't bitch about, return it or ask for a replacement, just try dealing with two or three people at an Apple store or online support until you get the solution you feel right about.

Good Luck All

16. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, I have been trying, but everytime I speak to an apple rep they say they can't exchange it and to just hold it different or get a case. It's really frustrating cause I know there are other phones that don't have the reception issue but they refuse to do an exchange.

17. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Are the replacements brand new out of the box ? Or those phone only boxes ?

18. zoman504 macrumors regular

This is the same thing I got when I called. It seems like going in may be the only way to get an exchange at this point. Has anyone been refused an exchange at an Apple Store?

19. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Apple didn't do anything for me, they said they will not exchange it or replace it, just that I can keep it or return it, because their magic software diagnostic tool had the Genius telling me all my dropped calls and reception issues were my carrier AT&T, which was BS because my 3GS was the same carrier with NO trouble what so ever.

I went to Best Buy and bought a Brand New Black 32GB unit, and I always had the iFrogz case on both phones so that was not the issue.

Apple is waiting until they release the software fix before they will swap out a phone, there were three ppl at the genius bar having similar issues and we all said are you kidding me when they said either keep it or return it, as Apple will not be swapping units out until the problem is verified to be a software issue or if it is the carrier.

Personally AT&T needs to stop bending over for Apple, all they do is point the fingers. I could see if this was a 3GS maybe AT&T would share some of the fault, but C'Mon ppl we know Apple has an issue with the i4, but it is like they refuse to admit it. So sad they have gotten to big for their bridges...Really sad

20. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I have, two genius appointments at two different apple stores yielded the same results, one over the weekend and one yesterday. I will try again this weekend, but if they don't exchange it I will have to return it and buy later after they've fixed the issue.

21. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

as much as i despise class action lawsuits... apple is just asking for one with their refusal to do replacements for DEFECTIVE phones!