2nd iPod Touch Locks Up after 2 days

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Johnny Backer, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Johnny Backer macrumors newbie

WTF

My first iPod touch locked up 4 times in the first week that I had it. It came with 1.1.2 and was a /A. I took it back.

I've had my new one (a /B and 1.1.3) for 2 days. Today it locked up. WTF is going on? The whole reason I got the Touch was to be a PDA reminder of sorts where I can set alerts. When it locks up the alerts are completely useless.

Only after I hold down both buttons for 10 seconds and restart it, do my alerts appear.

Has anybody else had this problem? This is getting ridiculous.

My first one would do it just from sitting on my desk. It would was after I knew it was locking up, so I would constantly check it. It would turn on by pressing the front button. So I would turn it off by quickly tapping the top button. I did this a few times and it locked up once from merely me checking it once, turning it back off, and setting it back on my desk.

This time, (the /B) did it while it was in my pocket, but that's how it all started with the /A too.

Somebody please help me. I'm afraid that now that my second iTouch is going to start to constantly crash and need restarting just like my first one.

If I take it back, I seriously doubt I'm going to be picking up another one.

Needless to say, I'm really pissed off about this. Any ideas? :(

2. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

the chances of 2 touches being bad for the same person with different build dates and systems is lotterry winning numbers.

tell more about exactly what you did for the hour before and any other info.

3. Johnny Backer thread starter macrumors newbie

When the second one locked up, it was simply in my pocket. I always push the front circle button to take the system back to the front "desktop" screen and then I push the top button to turn off the screen. I do this every time when I'm done with the device. It was staying in its case, but I have pulled it out today and am going to try it without the case and see if it doesn't lockup again. My case is this: http://store.apple-touch.com/content/accessories/4-22--3116.htm

The only thing, and I mean only thing that I can even imagine is I have a jacket that has fluffy material on the inside and I slip this on when I leave work. If the iTouch is in my pocket, is there anyway possible that the open charge port on the Touch could some out get static'ed out? If so, this seems a little ridiculous, but perhaps if there is a case out there that has a plug for that port I could keep my Touch and not have to feel like I have to return it and not get a new one.

The reason I don't think that has anything to do with getting static'ed out, is when I tested my old one from just sitting on my desk at home. I would just power it on pushing the circle button to see if it came on. I was doing this sometimes without even lifting it up and I was just pushing the front button as the Touch pushed against the desk. It locked up simply from one time to the next when it was just sitting there on my desk, this was the /A though. I started to wonder though if once they get static'ed out, if they just continue to crash from then on without reason or from getting static'ed out again.

I'm going to continue to take my /B Touch to work, but I'm going to try it without the case for a while and see what happens. If it continues to lockup for me, I will be taking it back. I think my real question I have right now is, is it possible that I have actually received 2 defective Touches, or am I doing something that is causing them to constantly crash?

My /B is so new I haven't even loaded a single song, video, or itunes item onto it. I have simply created calender events and surfed websites.

Does anybody have any ideas?

4. justmeon12 macrumors newbie

16gb and 32gb Touch locks up

Hi. I have had these lock ups also. First, I bought a 16gb Touch. It worked great for about the first week. I then started to see instance where the screen would remain dark and I had to hard reset the device to wake it. I had had a few cases where I took it out of my bag only to find a fully white screen. Again I had to reboot. Needless to say, I returned it and found there was a 32gb version. This one started doing the same thing within 24 hours of first use.

I am probably going to return this one and just wait it out for updates. I love the device but I won't tolerate this.

Other info:
    I have the exact same Griffin leather case as the other user..
    I first synced the 16gb with a Windows XP Pro box. No Problems.
    I bought a new Mac Mini (leopard) and the problems started around this time.
    The 32gb was ONLY synced with the Mac Mini.

5. Johnny Backer thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been using it for the past few days without the case and so far it hasn't locked up on me again. I wonder if it was just a coincidence? I'm going to use it Sunday, and if it still doesn't lockup again, I think I'm going to start to use it in the case again and as long as it works fine for a week back in the case, then I think it was just a fluke. I'm hoping that if it ends up having a problem, that it's something that could simply be fixed with the next firmware update.

BTW I'm trying it without the case, because right now, that's about the only thing that makes sense as to what could be causing both to have the same problems.

If anybody else is having troubles like this, I'd like to gather as much info as possible so I know if I should take mine back or not. I'm tempted to take it back and say I want the 32GB model too, but really, the 16GB is enough for me, I just want the best Touch out there, even when I don't need it. *Must fight temptation* :)

6. justmeon12 macrumors newbie

No lock-ups since buying a different case

I bought a different brand of case for my 32gb iPod Touch and have not had a problem since. I wonder if the magnets used in the Griffin case were too strong and therefor interfering with the device.

The new case is a DLO. It also seems to have a magnet on the flap but I have not had any problems so far with my iPod.

7. DREWLITTLE macrumors newbie

disabled ipod touch

WHATS DOING ME IN IS A FRIEND OF MINE CHARGED MY IPOD TOUCH UP FOR ME AND WHEN SHE BROUGHT IT BACK TO ME AND I GOT HOME AND PLUGED IT INTO MY COMPUTER IT SAID IPOD DISABLED AND CANNOT CONNECT TO ITUNES YET IT SAYS CONNECT TO ITUNES TO ENABLE YOUR IPOD TO WORK AGAIN VISIOUS CIRCLE HELP ME EMAIL ME PATCHYPATCHY@HOTMAIL.COM

PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEASE HELP ME THIS IS KILING ME