2nd Line Not Eligible!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sammyman, Jun 16, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

My wife and I bought our iPhone 3GS on June 17th last year. Been with AT&T for 8 years, bought every iPhone day 1, spend an average of $150/mo+. For some reason, AT&T has chosen to allow my phone to be upgraded while she gets to wait until Feb 2011! I am furious. This is insulting. From what I have read on this forum, most people are able to upgrade both their 1st and 2nd lines. Why the favoritism?

AT&T gave me no reason whatsoever regarding why she was not eligible. They only said that there were "mitigating reasons". Who else here is in the same situation? Or more important, who here is able to upgrade both lines?

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am have three lines with AT&T and I am eligible for upgrade all three lines because my god damn contract ended in 2008.

I understand you are angry about not being eligible, but you have to think first.
    I doubt it is favoritism. She gets FEB 2011 because she got a phone not too long ago. Less than 18 months ago... it seems. 150 dollars or 8 years? I have seen customer go all the way back to 10 years and they still deny them because they are not eligible. At launch, it is going to be crazy enough to fulfill eligible customers. It's going to be tough.

3. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

Sorry to hear that.

It's a subsidy-payback formula to which we're not privy. I'm on a family plan with my wife and we're both eligible to upgrade. Why? (1) Our bill is over $190 per month and (2) she is still using her 3G she bought in 2008. These combined facts accelerated our payback and therefore made us eligible. Lower monthly bills and more frequent upgrading can lengthen your payback period.

4. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

This makes perfect sense since she has a 3G she has been using for 2 years. What about people that bought their phones last June (3GS)?

I think I am ok if everyone that bought 2 x 3GS iPhones last June is in the same situation. However, if most of those customers in my same shoes are getting upgrades, I will be furious.

5. Regul8tR macrumors member

Regul8tR

I'm in the exact same boat. My wife and I both bought the 3GS on the release date last year
    Our bill is about $175/month
    * so I likely demanded an explanation
    AT&T manager said, the primary line gets the full-upgrade price because the primary pays for the majority
    of the monthly costs ($60/month) in my case. The second line only pays $9.99/month
    So they are just trying to recover their costs from the second line
    * I don't agree as a customer - but it makes sense from a business perspective

* So its Not that were both "not eligible" - we will just have to pony up a little more.

6. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

I'd be frustrated as well. I'd doubt, however, that there are many -- if any -- couples in your situation (combined monthly bill with recent upgrades) that are eligible for an upgrade.

My wife typically skips every other iPhone version which makes it easier for me to upgrade each time.

7. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Next time make sure your other line is eligible for an upgrade. :rolleyes:

8. selianth macrumors newbie

I've gathered that they only gave one "early upgrade" to each family plan. Hubby is the primary account holder but had a 3G, so was already eligible. I had a 3GS and qualified for the early upgrade. We're both getting new phones. However, if both lines were still under contract and ineligible, they only pushed up the primary account holder. Fair or not, I think they're actually being pretty consistent about it.

9. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is good if they are being consistent. I was under the impression I was being singled out.

I think they are doing this to keep us locked in for another 2 years at the time of the next upgrade (FEB 2011 for me).