2nd Macbook Purchase= 2nd refund for screen, see pictures

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by podam, Nov 16, 2008.

1. podam macrumors newbie

I recently post a message for the pop up sound issue and hissing that is common to all macbook and macbook pro that is really annoying for such pricy computer. But after complaining about my screen i finally got refund...

But i was still thinking buying a mac air, yesterday in Ginza Tokyo Apple store i put a macbook and macbook air but found after comparison that the macbook will be enough for me and may be went wrong way to sent my previous macbook. After reading many post about the screen quality and profile to help a litlle, i decided to buy the same as my previous one 4 weeks ago. To be reassure i just compare the macbook themself and found that the screen lack of contrast but ok for my use.

After unboxing the new macbook, first deception the battery cover is loose and almost 1mm of the cover was visible, since i use the macbook on a talbe that is a minor defect, after i was scared by the slanted keys , almost all functions key were left side pushed and went contact to the screen!

But aesthetic minor defect...passable after just run the setup and just with the welcome video i realized that this 2nd macbook screen was really weird!! washed out black and impossible to see all the screen without to have to adjust screen to see the lower part... quickly i checked the screen 9C89... my previous was an 9C8C. I can confirm that the quality of screen is subject to large quality difference.

Furious to waste my money i just take some picture to convince me that is not really my imagination influenced by many post on the macbook screen.
    I took picture of black background and also picture on my work computeur an Asus F3SV with a 1680X1050 i paid less than this macbook.

The pictures only let read the issue and no need futher comments, the macbook screen is really the worst screen i saw: especially i am architectural studies and design, i saw many computer in Tokyo: toshiba,sony,fujitsu,nec...but no one had this worst screen.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    This is the normal view, black are in the upper level and lower part of screen get gray and washed out.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Second try, i adjust my eyes little up to the panel this time the washed zone are in the both extremity.

[​IMG][​IMG]

with pushing a little more my eyes upper,the black are gone in the upper zone and lower area black seems ok.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now with the picture of japaneses architects i took with my reflex B&W. Same issue, like previous comments ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO VIEW ENTIRE PICTURE WITH GOOD BLACKS LEVELS.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    And now comparison with a cheap Asus F3SV i use for working. BLACK are BLACK

[​IMG][​IMG]

Only pushing my head upper all screen get washed but not in normal conditions.
    This time i had to pay the restock fee 10% and got refund, for me i will never buy any Mac based computer! i lost money but learned that Apple quality doesn't worst the price they asked.
    Please be aware of the poor quality of these computer, i tried twice because i really liked the design and overall building quality. Please consider this.
    Last detail, on my previous model 9C8C, the black was a little more uniform.

2. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

3. pedestrian2019 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately there does appear to be a difference in screen quality with some batches of the aluminium MacBooks. Personally I have yet to see a good screen on these new systems. They are almost as bad as the old White macbooks. Maybe the UK just has the bad ones.

4. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I don't understand. It seemed that you were aware of all the problems with the Macbook in the first place. You returned your previous MB, and you went there to buy the MBA. In front of all the MBs and MBAs on display, you clearly noticed that the MBA screen is better in quality, and yet, you decided to buy the Macbook and not MBA... ?!

It just doesn't make any sense to me.
    Also, did you pay the restocking fee already? Instead of going to the store, people call Apple to report the problem and get replacement shipped without restocking fee.

5. youssefm macrumors 6502

get a replacement macbook or ask them to upgrade to a macbook air and you would pay the diff. and no restocking fee

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

That looks about like every macbook I've ever seen. Garbage.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Call applecare, talk to a customer rep and he'll put their supervisor on the phone. They'll put the apple store on the phone and resolve it if you have serious issues like yours. I got my restocking fee waived this way. Be firm, but polite.

8. subq macrumors member

face it, the lcd on the macbook is terrible, it is a known fact, you should not buy a macbook if you can't live with that

yes, low end laptops rival the macbook lcd, I have a lot of windows laptops here and none of them are even close to being as bad as my macbook, but they don't have osx on them either

people really should do their research before they throw down as much money as apple charges for their machines

I personally can't stand the lcd on my new macbook, however, the size/weight and osx outweighs the lcd problem

9. podam thread starter macrumors newbie

I already ordered te refund and the 10% was discounted. I tried to contact apple support and send mail, but for me the Apple story is finish, i wast money and it s incredibly how people are addicted to Apple product even if the product offer the worst screen i ever seen...
    Ok you ve a powerful computer,good lookind but a screen that is worst than cheap photo panel.
    To people who find the screen perfect and gorgeous, juste look a B&W picture, put a black wallpaper and see the real power of apple products: high price and garbage hardaware.

Will go for a Vaio Z, just wait for my partial refund.

10. podam thread starter macrumors newbie

For previous comment, the first time i didnt pay any fee for restocking... but this time the staff remember me and refuse to give me full refund.
    Just for detail, i try my sony earphone on this and the Pssssssssssssssssssss and pop sound was more terrible than the previous.
    Hope than my restocking fee will make a happy macbook user;)

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Call 800MYAPPLE and tell them you're unhappy with the machines and that you're unhappy with the restocking fee. I spent half an hour on the phone and had to talk with a supervisor, but they got the applestore to waive the restocking fee.

12. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I find your comment really insulting. Do you seriously think professionals (lawyers, doctors, engineerings, professors) using their Apple computers for work give a damn if their B&W wallpaper display properly? They are not addicted. They just don't care if the color on the screen is perfect or not. They use our computer as a computer, not an LCD TV!

13. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

I traded i my macbook yesterday for a SSD drive Macbook Air and couldn't be happier.

14. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I thought you loved your new alu Macbook. I remember reading your posts about it. What changed your mind? I love the new Air. I'm getting a new Macbook Pro when Nehelem comes out, but I really want the Air. I got a powerful desktop I use for most intensive stuff and other things, so I can easily get by with a Air as a laptop. I guess I have almost a year to think about it. Good choice.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I am a lawyer, and the screen did matter to me, sorry. When you sometimes have to show videos to clients, it helps if they can see what you're playing.

And to be honest, my eyes aren't what they used to be, and the narrow viewing angle got to be a bit of a pain in the neck.

I'm not a macbook hater, don't get me wrong; properly calibrated, they're the best screens ever for a macbook. But they're still not quite at the quality as the Pro or the Air.

16. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

My O key was starting to squeak, After buying I kinda regretted not getting a SSD drive, so when the offer came I jumped at it.I lost nothing on the MB and the new Air is great.
    Much better then the first Air.Loving the screen without the glass!I really did not bother me but this is better for myself.

17. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

What about professionals in, oh I don't know, the media industry? I mean okay I'm no professional, I just started my television degree at university, but hell even I know that you need a correctly calibrated screen in order to correct colour, contrast, saturation (and so on) in video, and if half the screen is washed out then that particular screen is, effectively, useless.

18. D.M.S macrumors member

good riddance

have fun in the windoze world jerkoff

19. Jpoon macrumors 6502

There's no need for name calling <_<....

But yeah, I'm sorry you're one of the many people that has had a terrible experience with the new revision. Life dumps on you sometimes D:....

:(

20. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Yeah... even though if you really are a lawyer who show videos to clients regularly. I'll start believing when I hear 5 other lawyers complaining the same thing.

Seriously, for the computer-related professionals (and even students), don't you think the MB is a little too 'entry-level' for you?