2nd MacBook, Uses?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CocoaTurtle, Jun 10, 2010.

1. CocoaTurtle macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hello everyone,

I have a quick question for all of you with two Apple notebooks (I've seen in many peoples signatures that they have two or more notebooks). I brought a 15" MacBook Pro last week and finally set it up on Monday, the idea was for it to replace my 2007 13" White MacBook! But now i've had a change of heart and don't really want to get rid! I'd like to keep it of I can find a use to justify doing so!

Just wondering what everyone else uses a second notebook for?! I was considering using it as a media center and for around the house/coffee shop browsing (My new MacBook Pro's base gets to 40 degrees so can't see myself using it on my lap unfortunately)!

Thanks in advance!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would hook it to a TV and use it as media center as you said. It's more portable as it's 13" so when you're going somewhere, you could take it instead.

3. flat4 macrumors member

bit torrent download machine and itunes server.

4. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Backup machine.
    Sandbox for testing new sofware/operating systems.
    Put Bootcamp on it.
    A "travel" computer for when you need a laptop but don't want to risk your shiny new MBP.
    Give it to a friend/family member so you can at least see it and say hi to it once in a while. :p

I used to have 2 notebooks around the house, and felt the same way with the old one. In the end I got rid of it. What ends up happening is that one of them (usually the old one) just sits around and goes unused. It's a big pain to bounce back and forth between two machines, and your new MBP is going to be much faster and enjoyable to to use anyway. So unless you want to keep the MB around as a backup machines, I'd try to find it a new home.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

My second MBP (the 15" one) sits by the sofa and is used mostly by my wife to browse and for email. I use it now and then also, though since getting the iPad, not so much. I'll be keeping it around as a backup machine.

6. CocoaTurtle thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for all your input guys! Going to give it a months trial as a media center and to test code as someone suggested, thinking it could probably replace my netbook! Wehrwolf, thanks for that very detailed post about your past experience with two notebooks, have taken everything you've said onboard!

Thanks again :)

7. shadygrove macrumors regular

I have my new MBP as my primary machine and two PowerBooks lying around. One acts an extra desktop in case someone comes over and needs to use the computer and I am using mine, or my girl friend wants to use it when she isn't using the the other PB that is hooked up to the TV. We don't pay for cable tv, and since we have the PowerBook hooked up to the TV with an HDMI cable, we can watch all the TV we want through the internet. Both act as extra machines and are used frequently. We are about to get another new MBP (for the girlfriend's new primary) and I can't imagine using the old machines any less. They have a purpose and they serve it well despite being 5 years old.

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I have a PB G4 and MBP. I use my PB as backup and occasionally let the kids use it to watch videos. Plus you can't just have one Mac. :cool:

9. slideworks macrumors member

slideworks

10. CocoaTurtle thread starter macrumors member

Awesome input, thanks everyone! Shadygrove, cheers for giving me a brilliant insight into your uses for multiple notebooks! I love the idea of using one with a television instead of paying for cable! I actually purchased the EyeTv DTT with my new MacBook Pro, so I think it'll get that setup with the old MacBook and get things setup similar to the way you have! Although I should probably get a HDMI adapter rather than using VGA!

'Plus you can't just have one Mac.' - Love it!

Cheers :)