2nd monitor brightness

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 2macman, Nov 26, 2010.

1. 2macman macrumors member

I have a 27 iMac, and a 22 inch Viewsonic as the second monitor.

The second monitor is just not bright. I have used another monitor as a second monitor as well. Both are just not bright enough to suit me.

I have fiddled with the brightness controls, to no avail.

Is that a generic problem with second monitors?
    They just don't get enough juice or something?
    Would another brand monitor help?

2. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking that those monitors just don't get as bright as the iMac. I don't think it's an actual problem though.

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

if the two are no ips displays they are likely to be in perfect condition like they are , its the iMac who's even totally dimmed brighter then normal displays at highest settings

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I actually find the iMacs to be too bright. I usually have to turn them down.

5. 2macman thread starter macrumors member

LG, Samsun vs Viewsonic

Thanks. I did not know if it is a mainstream problem that the second monitors just do not get enough electricity or something.

So, my Viewsonic monitors are about 4 years old.

Anybody know if a new 27-inch LG or Samsung would look measurably better than the 4-year-old Viewsonic?

I'm wary of buying a new monitor but getting the same results.

6. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I think a brand new monitor will almost certainly be as bright as the iMac. I have a cheap 6 month old 24" Acer attached to my 24" iMac and it can match the brightness, even at full brightness.

I do, however, leave the iMac at the lowest brightness setting at all times.