2nd monitor on nMP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BlueWaterVA, Feb 6, 2014.

1. BlueWaterVA macrumors member

Is it possible to just plug a Mini display port to HDMI cable from one of my Thunderbolt ports for a 2nd display?

Do I need a special adapter?

I want to use a Sharp 26" LED as the second display.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. BlueWaterVA thread starter macrumors member

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

IIRC, not straight display to display. You need another TB device in between the 2 displays.

5. CH12671 macrumors 6502

Don't think this is correct. i think the OP wants to know if he can get a TB to HDMI cable and drive a second display, and the answer is yes, he can. Why would he need another TB device in the chain? Am I missing something?

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

7. CH12671 macrumors 6502

Ya, that's saying you can't go out of the TB display straight into another display using a TB>HDMI cable. You can, however, go out of the TB display, into another TB device, and then out of that device to an HDMI device.

But what i think the OP will want to do (with 6 TB ports plus HDMI port) is to just use a TB port off the back of the nMP...straight to his/her monitors.

----------

We don't even know if he has a TBD

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I misread OP I thought I read he wanted to do it off a TBDisplay

9. d-m-a-x macrumors 6502

Arrangement

be sure and use the same plugs / config when plugging / unplugging. It will change the arrangement orientation and color

10. BlueWaterVA thread starter macrumors member

I don't have a TBD. I am using the HDMI out of my 2013 Mac Pro to a ASUS VE278 (1920 X 1080) display. I am just wanting to add a second display to be used with FCPX. I am eons from 4K and this is my first experience with TB. I just want to use a common Sharp LED TV for the 2nd display. I don't know if I need a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter or just a Mini Display port to HDMI cable? The latter is much less expensive.

Thanks

11. simsaladimbamba

A Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter will suffice.

12. CH12671 macrumors 6502

Either one. Be aware, though, that plugging it in through the TB (MDP)> HDMI cable may cause the computer to see the monitor as a 1080p television, rather than a 1920 x 1080 monitor. Going the other route (with the adapter) may cause it to find the monitor as 1920 x 1080. Even better, going TB>DVI and then DVI to the monitor will definitely cause it to see the monitor as 1920x1080. Is there a difference? That's up for debate. I've had my iMac see a 27 inch 1080p monitor as both, depending upon which way it was connected, and I can't tell a difference. Some say the computer reporting the monitor as 1080p can cause it to introduce some under/overscan thinking that it is a TV rather than a monitor. i'm not sure. IMO, you get the cheaper cable, hook it up, and go. If you don't like it, take the cable back and try a different approach. But truly, either cable will get the video signal to your monitor!