Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueWaterVA

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2012
SouthWest Virginia
Is it possible to just plug a Mini display port to HDMI cable from one of my Thunderbolt ports for a 2nd display?

Do I need a special adapter?

I want to use a Sharp 26" LED as the second display.

Thanks!

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Is it possible to just plug a Mini display port to HDMI cable from one of my Thunderbolt ports for a 2nd display?

Thanks!

IIRC, not straight display to display. You need another TB device in between the 2 displays.

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
IIRC, not straight display to display. You need another TB device in between the 2 displays.

Don't think this is correct. i think the OP wants to know if he can get a TB to HDMI cable and drive a second display, and the answer is yes, he can. Why would he need another TB device in the chain? Am I missing something?

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
Ya, that's saying you can't go out of the TB display straight into another display using a TB>HDMI cable. You can, however, go out of the TB display, into another TB device, and then out of that device to an HDMI device.

But what i think the OP will want to do (with 6 TB ports plus HDMI port) is to just use a TB port off the back of the nMP...straight to his/her monitors.

----------

We don't even know if he has a TBD

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Ya, that's saying you can't go out of the TB display straight into another display using a TB>HDMI cable. You can, however, go out of the TB display, into another TB device, and then out of that device to an HDMI device.

But what i think the OP will want to do (with 6 TB ports plus HDMI port) is to just use a TB port off the back of the nMP...straight to his/her monitors.

----------

We don't even know if he has a TBD

I misread OP I thought I read he wanted to do it off a TBDisplay

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Arrangement

be sure and use the same plugs / config when plugging / unplugging. It will change the arrangement orientation and color

BlueWaterVA

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2012
SouthWest Virginia

Thanks!

I don't have a TBD. I am using the HDMI out of my 2013 Mac Pro to a ASUS VE278 (1920 X 1080) display. I am just wanting to add a second display to be used with FCPX. I am eons from 4K and this is my first experience with TB. I just want to use a common Sharp LED TV for the 2nd display. I don't know if I need a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter or just a Mini Display port to HDMI cable? The latter is much less expensive.

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
A Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter will suffice.

Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
I don't have a TBD. I am using the HDMI out of my 2013 Mac Pro to a ASUS VE278 (1920 X 1080) display. I am just wanting to add a second display to be used with FCPX. I am eons from 4K and this is my first experience with TB. I just want to use a common Sharp LED TV for the 2nd display. I don't know if I need a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter or just a Mini Display port to HDMI cable? The latter is much less expensive.

Thanks

Either one. Be aware, though, that plugging it in through the TB (MDP)> HDMI cable may cause the computer to see the monitor as a 1080p television, rather than a 1920 x 1080 monitor. Going the other route (with the adapter) may cause it to find the monitor as 1920 x 1080. Even better, going TB>DVI and then DVI to the monitor will definitely cause it to see the monitor as 1920x1080. Is there a difference? That's up for debate. I've had my iMac see a 27 inch 1080p monitor as both, depending upon which way it was connected, and I can't tell a difference. Some say the computer reporting the monitor as 1080p can cause it to introduce some under/overscan thinking that it is a TV rather than a monitor. i'm not sure. IMO, you get the cheaper cable, hook it up, and go. If you don't like it, take the cable back and try a different approach. But truly, either cable will get the video signal to your monitor!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.