2nd Monitor Sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheCoffeeGuru, Oct 17, 2007.

1. TheCoffeeGuru macrumors newbie

I have an old Dell 15 inch monitor connected to my 2.4GHz 20" iMac. When the iMac shuts down or goes to sleep, the Dell monitor goes into "self test feature check" mode with the floating red green blue and white box (same thing that happens when the monitor is powered on but not connected to anything).

Is there a way to send a "standby" signal to the external monitor?

2. tammy418 macrumors member

I also have this problem with an LG monitor, I'd really like to know the answer to this.

3. TheCoffeeGuru thread starter macrumors newbie

The second monitor is an E153FP LCD if that helps at all.

4. tammy418 macrumors member

I don't know if this will help you or not but it seems that the problem for me was caused because the mini-dvi port does not send an analog signal to the monitor. The only was I was able to finally get my monitor to go into power save mode was by buying a mini-dvi to DVI adapter and using hat instead of the VGA cable. Now my monitor detects when my macbook goes to sleep and goes into power save mode.:D

If your monitor does not have a DVI output then you're out of luck, trust me I looked all over the web, called LG (& the guy basically just told me they don't support macs), and went to the apple forums with no luck. For my monitor, at least, I could tell there are a good chunk of people with LG monitors on this forum who didn't seem to have the same problem so i figured it was because they were using DVI cables.

5. anotherarunan macrumors 6502