2nd Monitor (vertical) with iMac

ginhb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Does anyone have a 2nd monitor for their iMac that physically rotates into the vertical orientation? If so which model, and how do you like it?

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
Does anyone have a 2nd monitor for their iMac that physically rotates into the vertical orientation? If so which model, and how do you like it?
While I do not have this set up for my Mac, both of my work monitors can be rotated for horizontal or vertical orientation if needed.

But, I would think that any monitor that has VESA mount capability should be able to rotate, you just need to get a mount for it.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
I had a Dell monitor that would rotate. I even bought a USB-C to DVI adapter to try it out. It did work and the iMac knew the correct orientation of the monitor. Then I realized that a 27" iMac leaves very little room on my desk and the Dell monitor just didn't really fit. I ended up giving the monitor to my mom along with my old mini.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
While I do not have this set up for my Mac, both of my work monitors can be rotated for horizontal or vertical orientation if needed.

But, I would think that any monitor that has VESA mount capability should be able to rotate, you just need to get a mount for it.
Using a regular LCD/LED monitor in portrait orientation give you really bad color shifting. As long as you don't do anything that requires accurate color, it's okay.

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
Using a regular LCD/LED monitor in portrait orientation give you really bad color shifting. As long as you don't do anything that requires accurate color, it's okay.
Good to know, I didn’t think about that.

I guess we should know what the OP plans on doing with the monitor in a vertical position.