2nd New Mac with Stuck Pixel

Discussion in 'iMac' started by badcrc32, May 20, 2008.

1. badcrc32 macrumors regular

Well, my replacement came and it had a stuck red pixel on a black screen....I cant believe 2 in a row. I went through refunds, debating on getting a new IMAC from the store and turning it on or alternatively buying a mac pro....Kinda bummed.:(

2. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Stuck/dead pixels always suck. However, it's within spec to have a couple - depending on the manufacturer/vendor they will have different policies on how many you need to have before it's considered defective for a return/exchange.

Have you tried anything to unstick the pixel?

There are videos that shift through colors you can play that sometimes will unstick a pixel. Also, sometimes gently massaging that area of the LCD with a soft cloth can unstick the pixel as well, though you'd have to remove the glass cover, if you're comfortable with that.

3. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i tried them no luck. I didnt take off the glass on the imacs to rub with a cloth I was worried about the warranty. Its disappointing, Im not sure an all in one is for me I may go computer monitor seperately.

4. freddyaudiophil macrumors newbie

my new 3.06 rig arrived friday night and i have ONE stuck red pixel up by the bar that runs across the top of the screen.

I did call apple support and they say that one or two stuck pixels is common on all displays... only if they are more than 6-8 will warrant a replacement. It does appear that mine also have the gradient issue that has been an issue for a while on iMacs. I did open a case with apple tech support and they directed me to discuss it with my local technical support center. After calling them today, they mentioned that they could replace the backlight (to fix the gradient issue) but the whole thing arrives as a kit, so the the LCD panel itself would be replaced also (which would hopefully have no stuck pixels at all).

If I can get my sole pixel unstuck, I would live with the gradient issue as I don't mind it all that much.

freddy

5. tjohanne macrumors member

...and this is why I don't like the all-in-one solution that the iMac is. I hope it turns out alright for you.

6. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

Good Point

Ive known time and time again technology all in one is bad, i mean look at integrated video, audio, all in one printers...I knew the risk, I shouldnt have taken it. Good point, Im leaning heavily towards a mac pro.

THanks,
    Jeffrey

7. Draddy macrumors regular

but seriously, your talking about a 1500-3000 dollar difference in computer... just because on certain grey hues you have an evenness issue.

8. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

The issue of whether or not you want an all-in-one or traditional desktop computer, like the iMac vs Mac Pro debate is not a black and white issue.

There are many factors to consider to determine which computer is right for you and personal preference is a significant factor. It is a big cost increase but it may be worth it to the original poster. The cost difference wouldn't be so large if Apple offered a traditional desktop computer, but they do not. (Mac Pro is a workstation, not a desktop computer)

9. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

Not really

Not really by the time you factor in EDU discount, additional 150 apple discount for my trouble add a monitor subtract a processor, increase hd, add wifi, add another superdrive looking at about $600.00, now do I want to make it 1100 and have 8 cores....Undecided....

10. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

It may not be as bad for you with your two discounts, but you probably would've gotten the iMac with EDU discount as well. Equivalent components in mind, the Mac Pro is a significant cost increase over the iMac. I could post some specific examples but we could just end up debating the configuration choices, etc. Besides those details and the exact cost aren't the basis for my main point, that the Mac Pro is not a standard desktop computer, it's a workstation.

First off, the standard configuration is a dual CPU machine - that's not a standard desktop. Even if you scale it back to one CPU, you're still talking about a quad-core Xeon, a server class chip - not a consumer desktop. It takes ECC RAM, you cannot use standard RAM and ECC RAM commands quite a price premium, even if you upgrade it yourself, not through Apple. I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but in my mind, for all of these reasons in addition to the cost overhead I don't consider the Mac Pro a standard desktop that is ideal for the vast majority of consumers, myself included.

Based on that Apple's computer line-up consists of two lines of laptops, two special form-factor consumer desktops (iMac and Mini), a workstation and a server. There is no standard-form consumer desktop available in the line-up.

11. rfruth macrumors regular

rfruth

Those all in ones sure are nice unless or until a component needs replacing / upgrading ...

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Weird and unlucky. My first iMac (prev gen) from the Apple store had a dead pixel and i called Apple who proceeded to slap me with their dead pixel policy spiel but i persisted and told the guy that i understood but i simply cant work with the computer because the dead pixel was bang in the middle of the screen.

He was understanding and offered to give me a replacement/refund. I opted for the refund because i couldn't wait for the turnaround time of the replacement. So i went to my local store and dragged a 20" box all the way home. I got a few glances but didn't care

Anyway safe to say the new one had no dead pixels and even better never suffered from the infamous graphics card issue that plagued majority of the other machines. Basically has been rock solid. So all-in-ones can be/are great, granted not all machines are problem free out the factory but most are.

I wouldn't give up yet if i were i'd just call Apple, be polite yet assertive about a replacement. If you meet a jerk, hang up and call again till you find someone reasonable

13. JCCash macrumors regular

iMac and MacBook Pro are both all-in-ones. Does the MBP have pixel issues like the iMac's seem to have?

14. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

That's a new one.