2nd Optibay HDD keeps disconnecting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d0nK, Nov 12, 2011.

1. d0nK macrumors 6502

I got a brand new 15" Macbook Pro base model last week.
    I installed a Crucial M4 128Gig SSD into the main bay, bought an optibay from ebay and installed the 500gig 5400rpm Toshiba HD into that.

Lion and my apps went onto my SSD and everything else on my spinner HD, whilst utilising symbolic links for most of the user folders.

Everything has been working great for a couple of days but today my 2nd HD (the optibay data drive) keeps disconnecting itself after 10-15 minutes.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Cheers.

2. djpuma macrumors regular

Seems like the drive is powering down when not in use.
    I think there's a setting somewhere to tell it to not do that.
    Either in sys preferences or disk utility

3. d0nK thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I think you are right. My data HD is totally disconnecting when it goes to sleep, but then does not power back up when I try to access data on it :(

I have to uncheck "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible"? Is this normal practise when connecting two HD's?
    Is there a way to get the HD to sleep whilst also 'wake' when you access it?
    TBH I'm getting confused now. Do I want my 2nd HD to go into 'idling' mode not 'sleep'? Does it go into idle mode automatically anyway?

4. d0nK thread starter macrumors 6502

Update:

Nope :(
    I have "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" unchecked and after a while (20 mins to an hour) my 2nd HD in the optibay disconnects itself.

I get:
    "kernel: Failed to issue COM RESET successfully after 3 attempts. Failing..."

It has disconnected itself twice in the last two hours. The only way to get it back up and running is by restarting my macbook a couple of times.

Anyone else have this problem?

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Are you sure you got the drive mounted tightly? Very well could be losing physical connection which would cause the drive to disappear.

6. d0nK thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem just disappeared without me doing anything.
    I wonder whether it was a kext caching issue.

Not had the problem since the day after my last post in this thread. :D