2nd Optical drive for MP

barnetda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
I have a 2 * 2.8ghz quad Mac Pro

I have dvds from Region 1 but my daughter has sent me some work of hers from the Uk. I only have 5 times to change the region and therefore my question is should i buy a 2nd optical drive and use that for region 2 and the original for region 1.

If so any recommendations on what dvd drive to buy?

much appreciated.

barnetda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
Thats perfect.

Just a quick question. My daughter sends me dvds of the family etc. If i have 2 drives i assume i can make some copys easily. Obviously they are not copyrighted as they are just family movies.

Comment

barnetda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
if you use something other than apple dvd player you bypass the region checking - i think - it's been a long time since i worried about this.

try vlc or mplayer for this.

if you want to copy you can just rip to hdd and then burn.
Thats great i will try those thank you.

Comment

Dzokayi

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
another vote for VLC

I have an extensive collection of non-region 1 DVDs. VLC plays them all with zero fuss.

Comment

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
If these are DVDs your daughter burned on her own, chances are they are not region encoded and will play in any region DVD player. In fact, I'm not even sure if it's possible to region encode a DVD you burn yourself. Are you sure they're region 2 DVDs?

Comment

barnetda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
If these are DVDs your daughter burned on her own, chances are they are not region encoded and will play in any region DVD player. In fact, I'm not even sure if it's possible to region encode a DVD you burn yourself. Are you sure they're region 2 DVDs?
Funny you should say that. I got another couple of DVDs sent to me yesterday from her. Opened them today and they both work perfectly !! Can only think the previous one wasnt recorded properly.

Looks like problem solved !!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.