2nd Optical Drive not working in MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iToaster, Feb 23, 2008.

1. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Ok, so I've got a Philips DVD R/RW drive and I want to put it in my Mac Pro. I put it in, hooked everything up, but it won't open for me (opt. + Eject, I know). It's set on cable select, but I've also tried it on slave with the stock on master. Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to get this working as soon as I can.

PS, when I wake the MP from sleep, the light on the second drive blinks, but nothing else.

PPS, the first optical drive opens with opt. + eject regardless.

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

No ideas, a second drive worked for me on cable select, not on master or slave. You know you need to press option and then eject and hold eject down for a few seconds.... eventually the second drive should open.

3. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Does the second drive appear in System Profiler?

What happens if you put the Apple-shipped drive from the first bay into the second bay? (Leave your second drive out of it for now.)

If it works, then your second drive is likely at fault - not necessarily a hardware fault... it might be jumper settings or something else.

If it works, put your second drive in the first bay and try it then.

If neither drive works in the second bay, you've probably got a dodgy cable - speak to Apple.

4. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

Yeah, both drives work with the stock plug, but when plugged into the second, neither works or shows up. A quick warranty question, but seeing as I bought the computer from somebody else, how does the warranty work out on that? Can I just call Apple or do I have to get it transferred?

PS, this is a 2008 Mac Pro