2nd part of a text message...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gix1k, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

My wife and I never get the 2nd part. For instance, it goes "meet us at the bar and bri". We never get the rest in a 2nd message. Any idea why?

2. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

because it gets forwarded to me. It finishes with "...ng the weed!! Yea, 4/20!"

Jk, sometimes when I send a long text to another phone that is not an iPhone, it divides it to send as separate messages. Sometimes there is a long delay but it usually gets through. But to have something send only the first line...I've never heard of that happening before. I don't know of anything that can be done to fix that other than to let AT&T know and maybe they can figure it out....unless it only happens solely on iPhones.

3. TwelfthAG macrumors newbie

I wish the iPhone counted down to the 140 character limit so I would know if I'm making the message too long..

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I wish crappy phones would just increase the character limit instead.

As to the OP's issue, the same thing happens to me, but only for particular contacts with particularly bad phones. The solution is to have the other person upgrade - or just don't text them. :D

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Before I had at&t and my friends who had at&t would text me book lone messages and I always got them in parts. I found it funny I would get the 2nd half 1st sometimes.
    With Verizon the limit was 160, and if you were texting another Verizon user there wasn't a limit.

6. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

It happens when people send to me. My long messages go in parts to them, but their message to me is only the first part. I never get the rest.

7. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

its a 160 limit also.

ive never had a problem with this though

8. aok1975 macrumors 6502

See you have no idea what you are talking about. There is no character limit on those phones, if you go over the character limit, its sent as a new message. The iphone is the only phone that I have seen that does not count down the characters. Its just stupid.

9. efice32 macrumors 6502

If they're on Verizon, there is no second part. Verizon doesn't split texts to non-Verizon phones into parts, they just cut them off at 160 characters even if what the person sent was more than that.

10. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

thats weird, ive never had a problem with text messages being cut short... to/from iphones and regular phones

11. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Read my post again. There is an ERROR, wherein the second text (when a single text is broken up) isn't received by the second phone. This only happens with particularly old or crippled phones, from my experience. Any half-decent new phone will simply receive the text as broken into multiple texts (which will all be received, and in the correct order). Reading would really help you out. :rolleyes:

12. gibbz macrumors 68030

There is no need for ad hominem attacks.

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Which is why I edited my post. Sorry, but I get really frustrated when someone jumps the gun and attacks someone else without even bothering to read carefully what was said. In the heat of a verbal argument this is understandable - it happens; but there is really no excuse when the communication is done by text, which can be read and re-read at one's leisure.

14. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

It does seem to be a restriction imposed by your carrier on your personal plan. Perhaps you can call and verify? Dont think you mentioned that in your posts...

15. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

This makes the most sense. I think most people to talk over text with are on VZW. It's just annoying. Like someone else said, the iphone is the only phone that does not count chars. I can type type type, no limit. I am assuming the receiver is getting the whole message. What I do know is, we never get the rest. Here is an image from my wife's phone. I placed an arrow at the message. She how it's cut..

[​IMG]

16. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Way to contribute :mad:

17. shabbado macrumors member

shabbado