2nd place to "Repair Disk Permissions"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lip5016, Jul 28, 2014.

1. lip5016 macrumors regular

hey guys, so i was reading somewhere that there's actually 2 places to "Repair Disk Permissions" for a MacBook Pro .. one of them being in the "Disk Utility" that is easily accessible and then one of them being a more "hidden", "terminal-style" version .. I forget exactly what I read but something along the lines that the standard "Repair Disk Permissions" (which you can access thru Disk Utility), doesn't actually repair the permissions (strange, i know).. but that there's some secret, hidden "terminal" repair disk permissions that you can access, which is supposed to be the 'real deal' for repairing disk permissions..

can anyone confirm this / give step-by-step instructions on how to perform this task? and whether or not it makes a difference between using this method vs. the Disk Utility method? Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are probably talking about doing it from recovery.

Hold command-r to boot to recovery. Then go to the Utilities menu and launch Terminal. Type in "resetpassword" (one word without the quotes) and you will get this screen.

[​IMG]

Select Macintosh HD at the top then select your account in the drop down. DO NOT enter anything in the reset password fields as we don't want to mess with that. Now click the Reset button at the lower right. When it completes go ahead and reboot.

3. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so that's what I've been trying to do. The problem is that I get to this screen (picture attached), and then I can't click on any of the menu items on the top left of the screen (specifically Utilities). I've even tried using the dedicated trackpad on my MacBook Pro, and it doesn't seem to want to "click" or bring any sort of menu down from the top. Any ideas? Thanks!

[​IMG]

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... that's odd? Do you have maybe a external mouse or something connected that may be interfering. Try disconnecting everything then reboot to recovery.

There is not trick to it or anything. You should be able to select those menus just like normally.

5. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure exactly though. The reason is because I do have an Apple Magic Mouse connected, and showing up with the pointer on the screen, yet even though both my Apple Magic Mouse moves around, and my dedicated trackpad's mouse is able to move around, neither are able to click.. If the Apple Magic Mouse was the problem, wouldn't it not be able to move around the cursor?

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You should be able to click anywhere, but warning : you must press the trackpad to click, "touch to click" won't work here.

Edit : "Tap to click", sorry.

7. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried clicking with the mousepad, as well as the Apple Magic Mouse though :/

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

How about try turning off the Magic Mouse then try with just the built in trackpad?

9. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

yup, finally tried that method as the last resort and it worked! thanks!