2nd SATA drive in 2012 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tanker5, Sep 2, 2013.

1. tanker5 macrumors member

I read a previous thread (which I can't seem to locate at the moment) about a company named microsatacables.com and their development of an adapter to convert the SSD blade drive in the 2012 iMac to a SATA port in order to allow someone to install a 2nd SATA drive inside their iMac. I stumbled across their website today and noticed the product has recently been released:

http://www.microsatacables.com/sata...l-ssd-drive-kit-for-imac-27-inch-2012-model/#

The item is listed as a kit for the 27" model. Would anyone here know if it will also work with the 21.5" model?

The site also does not specify is it is a SATA III connector.

I emailed microsatacables about these questions I have and am waiting for a response. I figured I'd post this info here to see if anyone else has contacted them about this product.

2. wmy5 macrumors regular

It's only a cable, no bridge chips involved, so it is an SATA 6Gbps for sure. I am also 99% sure that it will work with 21.5 model. However, I don't think 21.5 thin iMac have enough internal space to accommodate a 2.5 drive.

3. tanker5 thread starter macrumors member

I've taken apart my 21.5" and there is room for a 2nd 2.5" SSD, however, I will have to use tape similar to the tape that holds the display on to mount it somewhere on the inside.