2nd SSD in MacBook Pro - Battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by altecXP, Jul 29, 2010.

1. altecXP macrumors 65816

I'm thinking of putting a 2nd SSD into my MacBook Pro to replace my Optical drive. My only concern is battery. I have the 240GB OWC right now and was planning to add a cheaper 120GB SSD.

I get about 8hrs typically out of a charge. How would that change if I add a 2nd SSD?

2. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

To simply answer your question, 2xSSD would use less power than one normal HDD. This is because SSDs mostly consume about 1/3 power of a normal HDD.
    Therefore: worst case scenario: your battery life will be the same.

3. altecXP thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. :)

4. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

If you're thinking of doing this, I'd consider buying a duplicate of your first SSD, and then installing them in a RAID configuration. This will double the performance. The machine would be insanely fast. SSDs consume so little power, this shouldn't have a noticeable effect on battery life, either.

5. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

I second this, with 2x Same SSD.

6. bhattsan macrumors member

Do macbooks support hardware raid with optibay or will it be software?

7. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Going off the OPs question; How badly would adding a secondary (standard) HDD effect battery life?

8. colmiak macrumors newbie

ooo me wanna know too. i have an ssd and i wanna put my hdd in the optibay.

or i might put the ssd in the optibay and put the hdd in the regular bay bc i heard that the optibay doesnt have some shock resistant thing the other one does?

i would only be using the hdd for storage, im guessing i wont hear it at all if i set to sleep after like 5 mins? i love my silent mbp :)

9. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Yes, I think they do. When I looked into this, I found a couple of folks that had done it before. At least, I'm 80% certain that RAID is supported within the hardware/MBP firmware.

10. Xombie11 macrumors regular

My question is: Why?

Unless you plan to RAID them... 2 SSDs make no sense.