2nd Video Card Slot

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MrLatte23, Sep 25, 2008.

1. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

I bought a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT to supplement my installed NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT video card. One card will run two Samsung LCD's and the second card a third similar monitor. Would I see any improved performance in programs such as Motion if I swap cards, putting the 8800 in the main spot (running 2 monitors)? Or does the computer utilize both cards for improved realtime rendering regardless of what slot their in.

Thanks.

MacPro 2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon - OS X.5.5 - 9 GB RAM

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I'd run the 8800 GT in the first slot. Motion uses Core Image and it will only utilize the primary GPU in OS X. It probably won't be significantly faster, though. The current Mac compatible ATI cards (2600, 3870) are faster with Core Image based applications (basically, just about any Apple Pro app). Even the Radeon 2600 XT outperforms the 8800 GT in Core Image apps.

3. MrLatte23 thread starter macrumors regular

1st Slot - yet...

Thanks

I did end up with it in the first slot with two monitors connected to it. I tried different configs trying to get both cards to run at maximum speed in Expansion Slot Utility, but the second video card (1 monitor) in slot 4 only gets an 8X lane so it's not running at full speed.

It may be the root of new problems in Final Cut Pro; when rendering after a few minutes I get a small dialog box stating: out of memory.