2Q: SSD Speed & CPU Heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dasx, Jun 18, 2012.

1. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Hi there.
    I was a happy user of a Mid 2010 MBP 13" until I accidentally spilled a cup of coffee over and under it. The laptop was shut down and the lid was closed, but that didn't help and it seemed to die.

I waited and like a week later it woke up, but none of the connectors were working and in the Apple Store I was told that it'd be better to buy a new one. I asked my insurance and they told me they would take care of it, so I started thinking of my new machine.

The new rMBP came out and I wanted it so badly. I went to the Store we got here at Barcelona and checked it out. Too big and heavy for me. I need it to be more portable and lighter, so went for the MBA. So happy with this decision, I saved a lot of money (the insurance would only pay me the original price of the MBP) and the machine is incredible.
    I would've probably bought a 13" rMBP, but 15" is too much.

Well, now that I've kind of introduced myself, I'd like to ask you guys two questions.

1. This thing gets pretty warm but just in one spot. Over the F3-F5 function keys. When the CPU is at full load it's pretty hot at touch and iStatPro says it's at 91ºC, which is 196ºF.
    Should I be worried? It doesn't slow down and works OK, it just gets hot. Nothing else.

2. SSD speeds. AFAIK this new MBA uses a SATAIII SSD, right? Well, it's performance is incredible, I just wanna be sure this speeds are normal.
    This is a shot from the SSD on the MBA:

[​IMG]

Then. I opened my MBP and took out the SSD it had installed. I then mounted it in an USB3.0 external box for 2.5" internal drives and tried it out. (Wanna use it as my Time Machine Drive and to save my iPhoto Library which is pretty large).
    This is its performance. Those are great speeds compared to any USB2.0 or a FW disc (I've compared), but it still doesn't get to the level of the inside drive.
    My question being: Where's the bottleneck? The SATAII interface inside the drive? The USB3.0 connection? (It should let up to 5Gbps right? (~640MB/s)

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. vcuares, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

vcuares macrumors member

I get similar Black Magic speeds on my Base 13 MBA SSD. It's fast, I think if I recall correctly, the 256GB one is even faster.

Dasx, on your USB 3.0 speed test, what is the manufacturer speed specs? Is performing under spec?

3. dasx thread starter macrumors 65816

dasx

Do you mean the enclosure in which I installed the SSD? They didn't specify anything on the box. They just say USB 3.0 does 5Gbps, which means nothing really. LOL

4. vcuares macrumors member

I just re-read your post, you were using 2010 MBP SSD. Is it the apple one or a 3rd party brand? If so, what model/brand?

5. dasx thread starter macrumors 65816

dasx

It's the Apple one. It was fine so decided to use it. And its speed is awesome!
    (just 128GB, that's right, but PERFECT for what I want it)