2Qs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by boodyup, May 22, 2011.

1. boodyup macrumors member

How loud is the 27" top of the line iMac? Can you hear the fan for most normal day-day activities?

I know nobody can predict what Apple will do in the future but is it the general thought/feeling that this is the last year for the current iMac design?

TIA.

2. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

1. No. iMacs are silent under normal conditions. They have the largest internal volume of any personal computer (so, exempting the Mac Pro) Apple sells by a huge margin.
    2. Only Apple knows for sure.

3. Bryan839 macrumors newbie

I cannot really hear the fan on mine, its fairly silent, however, the hard drive is not - its loud!

Its my personal feeling that we will see a change in design in late 2012, early 2013. I think the current iMac has one more internal spec refresh before a complete redesign.

4. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

Maybe I just lucked out but I seem to have gotten a completely silent iMac :D

I put it through roughly 6 straight hours of encoding video and still didn't hear the fans. Dunno what it's like with gaming yet, though, I doubt there would be much of a difference.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Fans are super quiet, you can occasionally hear the hard drive, although not every drive is audible. I think the current design will last at least another year, as it seems to be about once every 3 or so.

6. boodyup thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. Any ideas what might be in the works a potential redesign? I know that Apple is reluctant to put in a touch screen for the iMac but it seems like that would be the next logical step.

7. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

I think you need to reconsider the concept of logic.

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Indeed. You won't see a touch-screen.