Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boodyup

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
How loud is the 27" top of the line iMac? Can you hear the fan for most normal day-day activities?

I know nobody can predict what Apple will do in the future but is it the general thought/feeling that this is the last year for the current iMac design?

TIA.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
1. No. iMacs are silent under normal conditions. They have the largest internal volume of any personal computer (so, exempting the Mac Pro) Apple sells by a huge margin.
2. Only Apple knows for sure.

Bryan839

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
UK
How loud is the 27" top of the line iMac? Can you hear the fan for most normal day-day activities?

I know nobody can predict what Apple will do in the future but is it the general thought/feeling that this is the last year for the current iMac design?

TIA.

I cannot really hear the fan on mine, its fairly silent, however, the hard drive is not - its loud!

Its my personal feeling that we will see a change in design in late 2012, early 2013. I think the current iMac has one more internal spec refresh before a complete redesign.

SR20DETDOG

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Queensland Australia
Maybe I just lucked out but I seem to have gotten a completely silent iMac :D

I put it through roughly 6 straight hours of encoding video and still didn't hear the fans. Dunno what it's like with gaming yet, though, I doubt there would be much of a difference.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Fans are super quiet, you can occasionally hear the hard drive, although not every drive is audible. I think the current design will last at least another year, as it seems to be about once every 3 or so.

boodyup

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Thanks for the responses. Any ideas what might be in the works a potential redesign? I know that Apple is reluctant to put in a touch screen for the iMac but it seems like that would be the next logical step.

ShiftyGray

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Thanks for the responses. Any ideas what might be in the works a potential redesign? I know that Apple is reluctant to put in a touch screen for the iMac but it seems like that would be the next logical step.

I think you need to reconsider the concept of logic.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

ShiftyGray said:

I think you need to reconsider the concept of logic.

Indeed. You won't see a touch-screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.