2tb 2.5" external

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jterp7, Feb 23, 2012.

1. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably lots of people have it, since it's been on sale for months now. Why?

2. jterp7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

main reason is that I've yet to see a review on one of these and looking around on MR most posts that have discussed 2.5" drives have stated that the seagate that I have with 1.5tb is the largest. This is the picture of the enclosure from google.

[​IMG]

3. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

4. simsaladimbamba

While the case looks nice, it does not tell us anything.
    A quick look on WD's homepage did not reveal any 2.5" 2TB HDD, a quick shopping search did the same, a search for 2.5" 2 TB HDDs did also reveal nothing.
    Another search using "2TB My Passport Essential SE USB 3.0/2.0" as search terms did only bring me to the site you linked to, other searches did the same.

Anyway, you should be able to come to a conclusion now.

5. jterp7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

its probably wishful thinking since provantage and other sites with inventory state that is a special order product from the mfg

On second thought, this site states that 6 are incoming in 2 weeks
    http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop...1300000U0149_BLC6293P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

6. simsaladimbamba

Though there should be at least some reports on 2 TB HDDs in the 2.5" form factor, as that would be newsworthy for Anandtech and other similar computer technology orientated sites. Since I couldn't find any such articles, I am sceptic, that those drives are even existing.

7. jterp7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm I gave provantage a call and they have the same mid march estimate that the shopblt has. I may put an order in anyway just to see what happens.

8. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I read about a dozen tech/gadget news blogs daily and I havent seen a single thing regarding a 2TB 2.5" drive. I have to agree with your skepticism.

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It could be two 1TB drives in single enclosure using JBOD/RAID to combine them.

10. jterp7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Based on the estimate of March 8, it'll be here when the Ipad 3 allegedly drops. If this drive is a real single 2tb single 2.5" drive I'll post the results here.:D