2TB 7200rpm Western Digital drive, good internal drive for documents?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by samtasticra, Aug 24, 2010.

1. samtasticra macrumors newbie

hi again,

Ok, I think I've reach some conclusions about how I plan to arrange my drives internally, in my Mac Pro, in a cost-effective manner (to start with):

In the first two bays (or maybe the optical bay and bay 1):
    System Drive: 640gb HD (the one it ships with)
    Documents drive: 3.5" SATA 2TB Western Digital drive

In the next two available bays (as duplicates of above):

System Drive: 2.5" SATA 500gb HD (as that's what I already use for back ups, will need a bracket to fit it in the MP)
    Documents drive: 3.5" SATA 2TB Western Digital drive

When my budget allows it, I'll get another two HDs (one 500gb or 640gb and the other 2TB) for backups to be kept off-site.

The 3.5" SATA 2TB Western Digital drive I'm looking at has the following specs:

- Capacity: 2 TB
    - Interface: SATA 3 Gb/s
    - Spindle Speed: 7,200 RPM (nominal)
    - Maximum Internal Transfer Rate: 1156 Mbits/s (Max)
    - Maximum External Transfer Rate: 3 Gb/s (Max)
    - Buffer Size: 64 MB
    - Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
    - Warranty: 3 Years
    - Weight: 0.73kg

here's the page I'm getting that from: https://www.pcdiy.com.au/product_in...10752&osCsid=151627a07003bfac501da3a72e387162

can anyone see any gaping holes in my plan? I'm new to this.

One that I can see is that my in-use system drive is 140gb larger than the one I'm backing up to. Eventually I'd replace both with the same size HD - when I'm in a position to do so.

But for now, it means I only have to buy two HDs to get started (2x2TB 3.5" drives).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

cheers : )

2. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

3. MacSince1985 macrumors regular

This is the Caviar Green drive. It's a variable speed drive, usually described as 5400rpm, not 7200rpm. It's rated as a solid, reliable drive, but not particularly fast. It's better suited for back-ups than for day-to-day use.

If budget is limited now, you may want to buy this one to use for documents now, and use for backups later (and use a Caviar black for documents).

4. inaka macrumors 6502

documents = pr0n? :D
    I kid, I kid.

Sure, that sounds fine. I'd go for an SSD for the startup and a large 2TB drive for documents. I'm ordering mine soon. :)

5. samtasticra thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so they're a bit pricier, but here is the 64MB, 7200rpm 2TB WD Caviar Black you were talking about:

http://www.itestate.com.au/pages/pr...;jsessionid=0954ACFBDBD75D16BAF65B7DE8BE707A#

this would be better off as an internal document drive?

When I say 'Documents' I mean stuff like Albeton sets and audio recordings, as well as audio/sample libraries. That stuff can eat up a looot of space.

Currently I have all my stuff on a 500gb drive, but I've got sound libraries and stuff I haven't installed yet, cause Im out of space (have two that eat up 40Gb each).

Couldn't afford two Caviar blacks at the moment, but I could get one, and keep backing up to my current drives (they should hold it all for a while), while I save my pennies.

Can anyone vouch for the 3.5" SATA 2TB WD caviar black?

thanks for the advice so far guys. good to have some other people's inputs.
    cheers : )

6. pascals macrumors newbie

If you're pressed for money, I'd go with two Greens in RAID-1 config. Any data on a single drive is data you're willing to part with in my opinion. For audio, the greens are plenty fast enough.