2TB Delay or 1TB? :(

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eggie87, Dec 4, 2011.

1. eggie87 macrumors newbie

So as you all know iMac's with the 2TB option are facing a 5-7week delay. I actually purchased the 2TB model about 2 months ago and had to return it for a full refund because I was getting this ridiculous noise from the hard-drive/fans. This time around I'm going for the SSD but I want at least 1TB of additional hard-drive space. Ideally I would like 2TB but this 5-7 week delay is ridiculous. In all honesty, 1TB is probably enough but I don't want to run into an issue 2 years from now where I'm at capacity and looking into buying an ugly external drive because I didn't fork out the extra 150 bucks now...Still, I don't want to wait nearly 2 months for 2TB because by then it will close to when the new processors are coming out...

2. monchiwai macrumors newbie

1TB is plenty (at least for myself) and you do not want to have a huge internal drive. If it really fills up later on get a thunderbolt external drive. Most likely by that time the price would have gone down.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

5-7 weeks is quite a long time to wait. I'd probably settle for the SSD + 1TB.

4. eggie87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers. What is the disadvantage of having a large internal drive?

On a side note, I remember when I ordered my iMac a few months ago it said that it was made and shipped from California, whereas my friend who purchased the 2tb model with SSD around the same time said that his was shipped from China?

What I also found weird was that when I ran a diagnostic to see when my mac was made, it said that it was assembled about 3 months prior to the date I ordered it. If Apple is making a bunch of macs "ready to go", why are we waiting 5 business days for them to "build" them? It would also explain why I had so many system updates when I first got it. If I were to order another iMac and find the same noise problem I think I'd freak out. lol

5. bossxii macrumors 68000

First off, the HDD shortage is not a short term thing. The floods and earthquakes that shut down those plants is not something they just shut down for a month and restart. Supplies will be tight for months, if not year+.

SSD + 1TB works great imo due to the simple fact the 2011 iMac's have a Thunderbolt port which in a year or so if/when I fill up my 1TB internal and my 1TB FW800 external I can upgrade to a TB housing and have faster than "Sata" type speed from an external drive. Not to mention HDD's will fail, don't care what machine it's in. I personally would much rather deal with an external one than open up my iMac to deal with a HDD failure down the road.

6. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I was ordering my iMac last night when stumbling upon this...

so I decided to call apple and see If I could get an explanation on why there was such great difference in shipping times for the 1TB and 2TB....

he couldn't give me an answer at all... all he suggested was that I drop another 500+ dollars on thunderbolt drive... to me that's unacceptable. And why do they sell the cable separate from the drive? that's kind of ridiculous.

anyways, I think i'm just going to go with a 1TB drive? I just can't understand how a 2TB hd backorder would take 5-7 weeks...

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

flooding in Thailand...

8. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Well, they probably have a heap of 1TB drives in the factory in China. Supplies of 2TB drives are constrained due to the flooding in Thailand. It's not really too difficult to understand.

Give it a few weeks they'll probably run out of 1TB drives as well.

9. HastaLaVista macrumors member

Same dilemma here. Wanted a 2TB internal now flipping between a 1TB internal or a Mac Mini. The GPU on the iMac might be the tipping point.

10. tmagman macrumors 6502

I'd take the SSD+1TB anyways even if there wasn't a delay. I much prefer having my data stored externally in a lot of cases (also because I use it on multiple machines and like it somewhat portable if necessary) 1TB is still a lotta data....

11. HastaLaVista macrumors member

I just wish it wasn't a $600 upcharge.

12. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Usually, it won't take as long as Apple predicts for the time of shipment. I ordered an iPhone a short time ago when it indicated that it would be shipped in 2-3 weeks. The Apple Online Store actually shipped it in three days.