2TB external drive - WD essentials vs Seagate GOFLEX

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by baashax, Mar 12, 2011.

1. baashax macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    My first post on Macrumors :)

I'm looking for an external desktop drive with a 2TB capacity. I'm in India, and the only two reliable and widely available options are WD Essentials 2TB (not the studio version but the plain vanilla 2TB drive) or the Seagate GoFlex 2TB drive.
    I have read about issues with the Seagate GoFlex drive with Macs (drive going into sleep mode randomly is a common issue i hear). But the connectivity choice that the GoFlex adapters offer is something is hard to let go of (will allow me to use Firewire and USB 3.0 if need be in the future).

Any inputs on the above concerns?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

2. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I would go for the one with the fasted connection, hence seagate.
    I have both WD and seagate externals. Work very well all of them. I don't have a goflex though

3. baashax thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your responses guys, but you are not addressing my concerns.

I'm looking for specific user experience with the Segate GOFlex drives vis-a-vis the WD Essentials drives.

4. mehanika Guest

I had the old 1GB version of the WD, and i do have abit older Seagate (probably 2 series older?).

I never had any of issues you describe, and to be fairly honest, if it should turn out to be one - just return the product.

I am a bigger fan of Seagate than of WD, after having to used these two.product. I dropped both (wops...and not at the same time), where the WD went all cold on me, the Seagate has taken SEVERAL falls, and even with pretty trashed casing, its running as smooth as when i got it.

5. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I have a 1TB Seagate GoFlex (black) and it has never had a problem with my MBP (10.6.6). If you want, Seagate makes some silver colored GoFlex drives that are already HFS+ formatted.

The black ones are less expensive and come with USB2 or 3, and the silver ones come with USB2 and FW800.