2TB external HDD buying advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lurk, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Lurk macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a 2TB external hard drive. I will be using this for storage and media. I'm not sure which HDD to buy or if there's anything I'm supposed to look for in a hard drive. I'm just going to be using this for storage so, I don't need anything like Firewire 800. I was looking at the western digital until my cousin referred me over to the OWC Mercury Elite.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb2/EliteAL/Pro_USB2_hard_drive_with_Hub
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136281

Any suggestions or advice?

2. Davey782 macrumors member

Davey782

OWC makes a quality product.

Lurk-
    The links you listed look like dual drives. Meaning they are actually 2 HDs that are constantly working in unison to provide the 2TB combined drive. You have the option to use it as a Raid 0 array which combines the two drives to give you 2TB or you can set it up to use RAID 1 which will make each drive mirror the other for superior data protection. You will decrease the size to 1TB but gain security if one drive fails you still have everything on the second drive.

I think either brand would suit your needs well. I like macsales.com personally because I've used them 2xs this year and had no problems. The OWC drive is a bit more expensive though. Also if you are planning to move big files, and with these drives you have the space to move huge files, it might be worth considering a faster interface than USB 2.0 so you have the flexibility in the future. USB is the slowest of all your options. OWC is the only option here b/c WD only makes it in USB2.0. Obviously it's more expensive to increase your connection options so if you're on a budget now I'd say the western is a solid option right now.

Also WD doesn't mention the data buffer [cache] or the RPMs, but OWC offers 64mb cache and 5400 or 7200rpms models. My guess is WD doesn't mention it because it's on the low end perhaps 8mb, 16mb or 32mb of cache. It's probably 5400rpms which is ok for your needs. The OWC is probably worth the extra $30 for the 64mb cache and the usb 2.0 hub built in. I'm interested to know what you choose and how you like it. Best of luck.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb2/EliteAL/Pro_USB2_hard_drive_with_Hub

3. crain300 macrumors member

thanks for posting this dealer
    i was going to the mac store and get the 2tb wd studio edition
    or can i get thoughts on 2tb wd studio edition?

4. cohenben macrumors member

I've had good luck with the WD MyBook Studio edition 2 tb drives - have 2 of them on my shelf right now. I also have one of those OWC drives setup as a RAID 0 because I have a video project that involves more than 1 TB of media. I backup everything from that drive onto the two MyBook Studios setup as RAID1 so now I have maximum redundancy, but I can work off of the OWC drive for ease. Everything has gone smoothly (knock on wood). If I was going to buy one of them, I would go with the OWC drive because I can forever swap drives out - I'm sure you can do that with one of the MyBooks but I don't think they make it easy. Also, the fact that WD isn't very clear about drive specs is lame.

5. crain300 macrumors member

if i were buying this for backup, would usb 2.0 be ok
    or should i get the firewire 400/800 version of this drive
    i was also thinking of getting drive genius 2
    to clone my hd would usb or firewire be recommend i think i just cant decide on the 2
    any help greatly appericated

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Get FW800 if you can afford it, it's like 3x faster than USB2.0, also you can use Carbon Copy Cloner for cloning, no need to get DG2..

7. Davey782 macrumors member

Davey782

OWC is offering DG2 for $20 if you spend over $200. I just picked up a quad interface, 1TB 7200rpm drive [$185 after $30 rebate! Good until 12/31/08] from them and got the DVD disc.. DG2 is usually $99 and it is actually what the Apple Genius Bar use for drive repairs when you go in for hardware fixes.. I would grab FW800 and drive genius if you can spare an extra $40..