Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Have a macbook pro. Mid 2010.

I'm all out of space and I want to stick in the biggest hard drive I can find.

I think it has to be 12.5mm?
I'd like to put in a 2tb one if thats possible?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

The only way you can get 2TB of storage in a macbook pro would be to take out the cd drive and replace that with 1TB hard drive and change your current HD to 1TB...

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
If a internal hard drive exists in the 2.5" format that is over 1TB at 12.5mm would a mid 2010 macbook pro be able to use the extra space? I have seen numerous posts that 1tb is the biggest you could put in a laptop. However, not sure if that is just b/c people think there doesn't exist a bigger drive that is 12.5mm or shorter or whether the computer internally can't process anything bigger.

I have found a 1.5TB Toshiba Aquarius that is 12.5 mm but want to make sure the computer won't only think it is a 1TB hard drive instead of 1.5TB. Please let me know what others think.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
It is only due to the thickness of the drive. Whether you can physically fit it in. 12.5mm works. 15mm bulges the aluminium and doesn't.

1TB, 2TB whatever is no problem. The file system can handle way more. There simply wasn't anything bigger than 1TB available for a long time. The bigger drives first only appeared with external cases and weren't sold separately.
If a 5TB 9.5mm drive was sold today, you could put that in.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
For platter drives I like Samsung
For SSD's I like OCZ

OCZ is if you want crashes, beach balls, etc.

SSD: Samsung 470 or 830
HDD: Samsung 1TB or Western Digital 1TB

On multiplatform forums we have (at times irrational) wars between proponents of different platforms (e.g. Mac vs. Windows). On uniplatform forums we need to fight over make of hard drives or on topic like glossy vs. antiglare. Hilarious.

FWIW, I've had a OCZ Vertex 3 in this baby for 12 months+, and have yet to seen a beach ball (and every crash has definitely had a different origin).

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.