2TB Hard Drive on NewEgg, Is It Compatible?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thewright1, May 20, 2011.

1. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

Hi All,

My hard drive just recently crashed on me (I'm in stress mode right about now) I found a hard drive on NewEgg that I wanna get. It's a 2TB drive which I've read in this forum somewhere that it's the highest the aluminum imacs can go. I have two iMac computers (one aluminum and one of the older white iSight both are core duo). Not sure if I can upgrade the isight to 2TB, i'm still researching that. But can you guys tell me if I can use the following on my Aluminum (or both possibly)?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL052011&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL052011-_-EMC-052011-Index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-22136514-L0B

Looking forward to your feedback.

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

The Aluminum would support that hard drive.

What is the model of the White one you have?

EDIT: Just some information, I would never purchase a WD Green HDD. They're extremely unreliable as they use lower quality parts. But, they are fantastic in price, to each their own, as they say.

3. thewright1 thread starter macrumors regular

thewright1

I appreciate the quick reply, that was awesome. The info on the white one is: iMac4,1, Boot ROM Version IM41.0055.B08 can you tell from that?

4. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

That iMac supports up to a 2TB hard drive, so you're good. :)

5. thewright1 thread starter macrumors regular

thewright1

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

That would do.

Do you need all that capacity on your laptop though? It may be more efficient to get a lower capacity SSD instead of a high-capacity HDD. It's all about preference and what you do, I suppose.

7. thewright1 thread starter macrumors regular

thewright1

Those SSD drives are insane in price. I've looked into them. I mainly use the computer for making music (Ableton) hence the wanted space. I'm at about 175GB of used space with about 25GB available to use. I figure between a 750GB internal and another 1TB portable external. I should be good on music storage for quite a while.