2TB Hard Drives

red kiosk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I though I read somewhere that Apple was using either Seagate or Western Digital hard drives in the new iMac. According to my system profiler, mine (27" 2.93 i7 w/ 8GN (2x4), 2TB+256SSD) is a Hitachi Model #HDS722020ALA330. All I know is that it is really quite, never hear it at all. Just curious what others are finding in theirs. Take care!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I think all 2TBs are Hitachi because WDs and Seagates are either 5400-5900rpm or 100$ more than Hitachi is (Caviar Black and Barracuda XT). Not sure though

nobias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
How fast is it?

I assume you mean the SSD. If you want benchmarks they are on this forum.

I don't have that much seat time but I can tell you that it powers on and wakes up from sleep 10 times faster than a traditional hd. Also no spin up time when accessing/saving files.

Well worth it in my opinion. I have been using an ssd equipped MacBook pro for the last few months and would not have bought the iMac if ssd wasn't an option.

Impossible to go back to a traditional spinning hd as boot drive now. New one shipped already and is tracking for Monday.

I had to send my unit back after 24 hours as I discovered the base was damaged.

rnb2

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2006
West Haven, CT, USA
Yes, all 2TB drives in iMacs are Hitachi - totally predictable if you look at the prices at someplace like Newegg, as the Hitachi is by far the cheapest 7200rpm 2TB drive. The 1TB drives are a mix of WD and Seagate - mine is a WD Caviar Black, and is essentially silent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.