' 2TB HDD or No?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mashinhead, Jul 30, 2017.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I am about to get a maxed out MBP. I want to know if you guys think I should get the 2TB HDD. Does anyone have one, is it faster than the lower capacities.

I have a 1TB now, and its got about 250gb left. It's not so much that I whether or not I'd need or use it, I will. I'm a pro user. It's really about whether or not I'll want to upgrade in a year. My current machine has lasted me 4 years. Usually I upgrade sooner than that but there hasn't been significant upgrades in that time.

If there are going to be meaningful jumps in a year or year and a half. I'm probably better not spending that money on a 2TB if its anything like the last 4 years, then I should.

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

There will be a meaningful jump in 2020, when Apple refresh the MBP. As they do every ~4 years. If you're using the majority of 1TB now and you're a pro user, then just grab the 2TB version. Doesn't make sense to limit your use for the sake of a few hundred if you need it. Speed wise it will technically be faster, but marginal and not really noticeable.

Otherwise who knows? If your current machine is fine, then hang on until you need one. No one can say for sure there won't be any 'meaningful jumps' in the next year. But you can look at the last 10 years and Apple tend to increase power about 10-20% each year, and refresh every 4. That's the best thing you can do really, if you need a new one then grab it, otherwise hang on...