2Tb or 3TB Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kew928, Aug 29, 2014.

1. kew928 macrumors newbie

A new comer in Mac World.

I brought my first imac come with 3TB fusion drive, currently around 500GB data, which one [2TB or 3TB] is suitable for using the time machine function only.

In addition, would it be compressed for data saved in the time capusal when work with time machine.

Thank you.:)

2. priitv8 macrumors 68030

Nope, all files are saved uncompressed. But TimeMachine will save mostly hard links in incremental backups anyway.
    How Time Machine Works its Magic

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The TM backup disk size really only is related to how much actual data you have, not the source drive size directly. So if you don't think you will have more than 1TB or so of data, the 2TB TC disk would still give you 2X the source data size and lots of space for versions of files.

TL;dr Get the 2TB. :)

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

5. kew928 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the information.:)

I think to get a 2TB capsule is enough.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Do you mean that you only want the Time Capsule as a backup device, and not a router? If so, it is a rather expensive peripheral when a basic external USB hard drive will do the same thing. With a laptop it might make sense because of the fast 802.11ac wireless capability, but with a desktop machine like the iMac, I don't see any reason not to just plug in an external drive.

I have a 2TB time capsule and am very happy with it, but I use a MacBook Air as my primary computer and wanted to get a router that supported 802.11ac wifi.

7. kew928 thread starter macrumors newbie

Both router and backup required.:p

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

There are legitimate reasons to not want to use a HDD plugged into the iMac. One that is very relevant to me, is that I want my backup devices to be stored in a different secured area of my house. Then, in the event of a smash & grab, the thief just gets my computer, and not both local copies of my data.

Truth be told: I have multiple local independent copies of my data, including both Time Machine backups, and CCC clones. I also have offsite cloud backup. Hence, this is not truly critical.

Another reason to want your backup to be remote is to get the HDDs away from your computer. My personal iMac is SSD only, and I have a 30m optical TB cable... so even my DAS devices are locked away in a secure (and quiet) location. Very elegant solution.

/Jim