2TB Time Capsule Setup/Optimizing etc...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gbr1ryder, Sep 10, 2009.

1. gbr1ryder macrumors newbie

I just picked up the 2TB and I have a few questions about it.

I also just recently talked to a buddy of mine that has the 500 or 1TB version of the TC, but it seems that the setup/options are a little different.

For example I would like to just use the TC as N only on the 5Ghz band, but it doesn't allow for me to do that. I can check a box for the 5Ghz but it doesn't specify to use the N band only.

The "transmit rate" is different as well. Now, I can only select low, med or high instead of 6mb, 10mb etc. What is the transmit rate and what can I do to optimize the TC for optimal performance?

I wish I could screen share with someone so I can figure this out. If you want to I'm drummerboy04@me.com on ichat. Someone please help! Thank you!

2. JGruber macrumors 6502

I know the answers to these, but I'm not at home, so I can't check my config right now, but I'm more then willing to help you out when I do get home, which is in about 4 hours, might be a little long to wait.

3. gbr1ryder thread starter macrumors newbie

JGruber,

Thanks for the reply. I may not be home in a few hours, but I'll definitely be on later in this evening. Feel free to post your settings. Hopefully, I can get this thing up and running like it should!

4. JGruber macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly, when you are selecting your security, and channels, it will ask what type you want to use, by default I believe it's a/b/g/n. I don't think it will allow you to only use N, however there is nothing wrong with using G and N at the same time. I currently have to do this, because I have 2 laptops and 2 iPhones that can only use G. However I have 2 other laptops that use the N band.

As far as the transmit rate, I set mine to high, so I know it's pumping out the full signal and using at much bandwidth as the connected client will allow.

5. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

I was just about to post a very similar question. We have a Time Capsule Dual Band hooked up to a pre-existing 802.11g router. As a consequence, we currently have three wireless networks; one from the original router, a g-network and an n-network from the Time Capsule.

Is there any way to turn of the Time Capsule's b/g network? Would there even be any benefit to doing so?

6. JGruber macrumors 6502

Why not just run the TC router, and let it use all the bands? I've been using mixed mode (a/b/g/n) and it works perfect, no issues at all. The more devices you add into the mix, the more points of failure you will have.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you need range, set the transmit rate to slower; it doesn't really affect your speeds when your clients are close to the AP, but clients connecting on the fringes of the network will have better connection reliability when you have a lower transfer rate.

As with the setting of N-only, hold 'Option' on your keyboard when you select that.

8. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

No sensible reason. It's only set up that way because it's a shared house, and the other occupants would rather die than use anything with Apple's logo on. Nevermind that they all use iPods, but there you are. Macs = Death.

The amount of ridicule I receive. ;):rolleyes: