2wire Modem Cannot detect computer for DMZ/port forwarding

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DoFoT9, Feb 17, 2010.

1. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Hey everybody,

firstly, thanks for taking the time to read this!

i have a 2wire modem that currently will not recognise my computers anymore. it wont even recognise my airport. i would like to give my virtual osx server DMZ/port foward access so that i can map/vnc/ftp externally (i cant port forward either).

for this type of modem, you need to select the computer first then change the port forwarding settings for each computer, but as i cannot see the computer in the first place i am unable to port forward at all.

does anybody have any advice for me to reset/renew the modem to search for the machines again? (i have reset the modem numerous times).

thanks all

DoFoT9

Attached Files:

2. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im beginning to wonder if my airport is blocking all the other computers from being recognised... seems the likely cause. the airport is now the DMZ component on the network and i am using port forwarding in the airport settings to forward particular port numbers to particular static IP addresses... i hope it works :D

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Is the 2 Wire modem a modem only or a Gateway? I don't know much about networking, but I believe that when I was researching our 2 Wire 2701HG-B Gateway that I read something about it needing to be put into a different "mode" (I don't think that's the right term, but it's the gist of it) when used with a third party router to make it act like only a modem. If you need this info, I'll see if I can find it as I'm pretty sure I remember where it was on the net.

4. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

thanks for the reply dewguy.

it is only a modem, I have it set as our encounter server however.

For this case it doesn't really matter. It seems as though the airport is 'blocking? My other devices from view of the modem. It used to work with my time capsule.

I have just thought of a method to test it, ill try it when I get home. Thanks dewguy, you're Awsome :p

5. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

I can't help you here, but I believe DewGuy is talking about bridge mode, which disables routing capabilities of 2wire modems with built in routers.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Bridge mode, yep, that's it, I guess I was right that it is a "mode" after all.

7. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

thank you both for that clarification. My last reply was all over the place! I am on my mobile.

I am not looking to change the bridge mode settings, all I want to do is let the 2wire see my other computers. The old airport base station seems to be blocking that. Ill Deff have a look into what was suggested though.

Thanks guys

8. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok here is an update, I have found a fix.

I was only able to see my airport in the modems dmz settings, so I set the airport into dmz mode (it has the same ip as the external ip). I then configured the NAT settings of the airport to forward everything to the ip address of my virtual server (bridged ip, not to be confused with bridge mode). I could then successfully connect to services of the virtual server by typing my external ip :)

E.g. 'ftp://externalip'

All to do after that was to use dyndns.com to give it an easy to remember name.

I'm happy with it now.... Thanks again everybody.