2Wire Router & Warcraft 3

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MyDesktopBroke, Jan 10, 2009.

  1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    #1
    I've had a 2Wire 2701HG-b router since we upgraded from dial-up to AT&T DSL two years ago. For the most part it's been great, but recently I have been getting frequent disconnects from the router. Not the internet to the router, but the router to my computer. I went online and found out the 2Wire router was notorious for disconnects in WoW, so I did everything those people said would fix it. I set the router configuration to PPPoE (it won't even work with PPPoA), changed b/g to b, set the channel to 10, power to 10.

    Right now it only disconnects if I try to play Warcraft 3. I get about 6 minutes of game time, then drop. Short of getting a new router, what else can I do?
     
  2. imassents macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2008
    #2
    First off, try a cable so you can narrow the issue down to just wireless. Then try some of the following if the cable helps.

    If your router has a firmware update available, you may like to try it.

    Check in your router for a rotation key time (may or may not have this option). My AirPort Extreme had a very short TKIP rotation time that introduced a delay during the swap. Some routers may take longer and have Warcraft disconnect you.

    Following on from above, TKIP is used with wireless security. You could try AES or you may like to disable the security altogether during your tests (ie turn off WPA/WEP security).

    Try additional channels. Best results occur from trying channel 1, 6, and 11 as they do not overlap. There may be other devices in your area (such as cordless phones, microwave ovens etc.) that are interfering.

    Also, G is newer/faster. You should at least use it.
     
  3. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    #3
    Well when the 2wire was connected by Ethernet to another computer there was no problem. Changing from b to g did increase my Mbps from 11 to 54. The weird thing is that it didn't happen once yesterday, even though I hadn't changed the settings yet.
     

Share This Page