2x 23" ACD or 1x 30" ACD for new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Death Warrant, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Death Warrant macrumors newbie

Hi there

I was thinking about my new configuration which I will buy when the new mac pro is coming out (hopefully soon).

What do you mainly recommend, two 23" or one 30" ACD's?

You might want to know what I will do with these displays, but let's say it doesn't matter. What would you do if you need to decide?

At the moment I have a 23" Philips and a 19" Acer display, but I will sell the 23" Philips with my current PowerMac G5.

I was thinking a lot, but haven't got any decision yet. I think I would prefer the 2x 23", because of more actual space. But in the other hand with a big 30" and Spaces in Leopard, it just easy to manage those virtual screens. But anyway I like to have everything in my view.

Thanks
    Phil

2. gotzero macrumors 68040

I use two 23" displays, and often think that I would prefer a 30".

However, I use and love ergotron monitor arms, and these would be absolutely out of the question with a 30", as I have the strongest ones they make, and they barely hold the 23"s. The 2X23" setup has to be angled rather significantly to get a non-distorted view of each panel, and some people do not like that.

In the end, I think it is largely a personal preference. I often use more than one computer, so for me, the ability to have to system's displays is nice, but I always wonder what the 30" would be like for my daily work/play.

3. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

I would go with the 30". You save a lot of desk space and you still have a LOT of screen real estate.A 30" would be so sweet to have.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Depends on what you're doing and if that benefits from 'separation of workspace'. Even two 23"'s don't take up that much space.

I use a mix of two to four 23-24" monitors or two 30" on many of the desktops I use. Even when using a 30" monitor, for what I do I find the ability to separate my work into discrete 'real' windows is useful.

For general purpose use, I suppose a single 30" monitor is sufficient though.

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I had two 23s and then went to the 30. Get the 30.

6. David G. macrumors 6502a

7. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

The 30" is beautiful, no doubt. Although for a program like Aperture, I'd love to have 2 23s instead. Love to be able to have the particular photo selected in full screen with all the controls and such on the other monitor :eek:

8. ctsport macrumors newbie

Definately the 30'', I find myself being much more productive on a single large monitor not to mention it looks better and takes up less desk space. :D

9. Death Warrant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot!

8:0 for the 30", so my decision has been made :) I will buy a 30".

Safe desk space is also very important to me, so the 30" will much more fit my desk, then 2 23". On the other hand, I can buy a second 30" if I need one.

So now I just waiting for the new mac pro.

New ACD's would also be fine, but I don't think we will see them soon, what do you think?

10. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

well se about that:)
    maybe in mackworld 15 januar ore maybe not..if you look at the buyers guide here at macrumor it's clearly about time for a upgrade..
    my dime