2x 24" LCDs via Dual Link DVI?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Maxxim, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Maxxim macrumors newbie

I have a 13" uMB, and I would like to hook up 2x 24" LCDs to it. Is this possible via the Dual Link DVI Cable? Or is that only for those 30" Apple Displays? I will be a sad sad panda if I can only hook up one display :(

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

To do two external monitors, showing different images, you can use something like the Matrox DualHead2Go Digital.

Even if dual-link DVI supported the resolution to drive 2x24" displays, the computer would mirror the image to both displays.

3. Maxxim thread starter macrumors newbie

Dang I was afraid of that. The name is misleading. I know other companies out there (Lenovo for sure) have single DVI ports on a video card and use Dual Link DVI to use multiple displays, but they do it in their own proprietary way. I was hoping the macbook would work the same.

I suppose I can suffer with a 13" and a 24". I will hook the other 24" up to my ol' Winders 7 box (not that I use that anymore)

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yeah, the term dual-link refers to 2560x1600 total resolution, not necessarily number of monitors supported. Maybe I'm mistaken though, and you can do dual-link-->2 monitors. I think with 24" screens you'll run out of total resolution.