2x 8800GT for 2x monitors in Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SuperGrobi, Apr 12, 2008.

1. SuperGrobi macrumors member

Sorry if this question was posted before - couldn't find an answer so far: Is it possible to run 2x 8800GT (Apple or flashed PC) in one Mac Pro 2008? I know, SLI doesn't work but I am curious if I can run 2 monitors (e.g. for FSX in Bootcamp). Did anyone try this or is this outside the Power-limits of the PCI bus? Thanks for your help.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You can do it but the question that remains is, why?

3. m1stake macrumors 68000

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

There is only ONE PCI 2.0 16x slot in the Mac Pro 2008, the slot required for the nVidia 8800GT card. You can only drive one of these cards in the machine, but you can populate the other slots with nVidia 7300 cards...or other PCIe 1.0 cards.

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, there are two. Yes, there is power. Yes, it is possible, OP; there's someone else here who does it.

7. SuperGrobi thread starter macrumors member

Correct, two 16x PCIe slots ;) ... I am mainly asking for possible power problems

8. SuperGrobi thread starter macrumors member

I know that, but in FSX at max settings one 8800GT is pretty busy with one 23inch display ;)

9. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Grobi,

It can be done, but it isn't necessary if it is extra horsepower you are looking for :) I am an FS addict and just purchased my first Mac Pro a week ago. With Bootcamp, I have XP running FSX with Acceleration package (sp2). I have a beautiful AMD9600 Phenom Quad Core PC with 4gigs of RAM and an 8800 GT (one month old and necessary for the business). It does about 7-10fps in downtown LA or Vegas or Seattle (higher rez cities) going low and slow.

The Mac Pro with the 8800 is a completely different animal. Although I have 10gigs of RAM in my machine...it is configured in a such a way that XP only sees 2! (I know I can fix it to see 4, just haven't changed to config yet). STILL, FSX is drawing 40-55fps in any of the high rez cities at 1920x1200x32, with all settings maxed...Still messing with Mesh complexities. It is insane...I have been flying Microsoft Flight Sims for 20years (first on an Apple IIE, followed by a 286), 19 on PCs...my first foray back to Apple and if your only game you play in Windows (like me) is Flight Sim...this is IT...the HOLY GRAIL!

BTW...I am not a frame rate junkie...but playable frame rates are hard to achieve on any Microsoft version of Flight Sim when first released!

And in reply to your first question, you CAN hook up two monitors with your one 8800 or grab the Matrox To-Go (I think that is what it's called) and hook up three monitors through the single graphics card...check out flightsim.com for details.

Good Luck and Happy flying!

Jeremy

10. WhiteKnuckle macrumors newbie

2 8800GT's in new Mac Pro

There is an option to put NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI) in a new Mac Pro. Does this help drive 1 monitor better for FSX? Or is this strictly to add additional monitors? I am looking for the best card to buy for the new Mac Pro to run FSX.

11. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Whiteknuckle,

See my previous post...the 8800 is the choice right now if you will be gaming. Keep in mind, you need a copy of Windows as well for Bootcamp. And if you decide to go with XP, you won't be able to take advantage of Direct X 10 (not worth it right now, IMO regardless).

If you are using your MacPro as a Windows only machine, you can use any video card you want. If you are wanting to use the same video card on both OSX and Windows, your options become limited...but the 8800 offered by Mac is in my opinion, coupled with this machine, faster than any pair of 8800 Ultras on ANY gaming PC rig available at ANY price!

A couple of friends of mine just built the new BlackBird HP rig with twin 8800 Ultras on the Extreme Quad Intel 9850 platform and it runs like a DOG!!! At less than 15fps and at a cost of around 6k!

The offered option from Apple is well worth the $200...but as you will find out running FSX on a Mac Pro...>FSX runs better and more efficiently on Raw CPU horsepower, NOT GPU horsepower :)

Take care,

Jeremy

12. WhiteKnuckle macrumors newbie

Killer... that is what I was hoping...

I use a Mac all day at work.. wanted to buy a home machine and just got my Private Pilot's license... so having the Mac Pro work well with the Sim is a plus! Thanks.

13. SuperGrobi thread starter macrumors member

Good to hear that FSX runs on CPU horsepower, since I recently "upgraded" to Vista Ultimate in order to take advantage of all cores. Sadly so far my MP runs just on one 2.8 GHz Xeon, but I am planning to add the second one as soon as I get the CPU for an affordable price here in Europe. I wasn't sure if the graphiccard was the bottleneck, so I even thought about getting a 9800GX2 just for Bootcamp. I know that framerates is not everything but since I have the MP I am just amazed by the virtual realism I get with close to max settings. Now I want to get as much as possible out of the MP. This is why I was thinking about the second monitor with it's own videocard. Thanks for all suggestions :rolleyes: