2x OSX on 1 Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dazzer21, Jan 23, 2015.

1. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

I have a 2008 iMac running OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I use this machine for work and it does just that - it just works! In the main I use Adobe CS5 (which is paramount to my duties and well up to my requirements, hence not having upgraded to later versions) and am getting to the stage where the software I look to buy these days requires Mavericks or above. The last thing I want to be doing is upgrade to find that elements of my daily productivity are hampered by software starting to not work and other associated problems causing me to dig deep for upgrades I really don't need. My question is whether I can keep 10.6 on my machine while also being able to download Mavericks or Yosemite and be able to switch between the two as (if) necessary until I know everything is OK?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... just follow this to shrink the main volume than add a new volume at the end and format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then do the second OS install to that volume.

Then hold the option key when you boot to get the boot selector and pick which one you want to boot to.

Make sure you backup first before you do this in case it goes badly.