2x single sticks of ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phas3, Jul 13, 2012.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

There isn't any prime eligible Corsair Vengeance 8gb module 2x4gb on amazon, but they do have a single 4gb one. I was wondering if I buy two of these instead of the former will it still work?

2. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

It will work fine, but for optimal performance go with matched sticks. Not so much of a big deal nowadays, but still try and go for matched sticks.

3. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

:/ guess I'll wait then thank you

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It'll work fine! If both sticks are the same make and model, they're essentially matched.

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Buying two of the same exact model is as good as buying a 2x kit.

6. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

It has nothing to do with performance as long as the sticks run at the same timings performance will be exactly the same. The issue is that although manufacturers have lines of products they will often source the actual memory chips from different batches which MAY cause compatibility issues with one another. However this is rare in modern times.

7. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

The gimmick with kits is all you're getting is sequential serial numbers. Pointless IMO. Just get individual sticks. That's what I did (and with the same RAM also but 8 GB sticks, I'm using it now). Plus, it's better for RMA's/returns. Kits you'd need to return both even if one is good. Individual is individual.

8. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

"Matched sticks" just means "two of the same brand and model." I have 2x single 8gb Vengeance sticks in my MBP in dual-channel mode. Works great, and was cheaper too!