Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sphoenix77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
So I recently purchased a Mac Pro and it's awesome. BUT I wanted to know is it possible to swap out the processors for maybe 2 quad cores or even 2 3.0 GHz processors and if so, how would you do it?

Is this possible? (pictures of the motherboard are attached)

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 685
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    998 KB · Views: 458
Reactions: basilt

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
the previous poster is mistaken. He's assuming you have a nehalem mac pro, which you don't. upgrading the processors in your mac pro is simple, cheap, and a very good upgrade. Search the forums. It has been done by a large handful of folks on here. There's lots of help available.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Am presuming your Mac pro is the 1.1 version. If so, you can upgrade the processors using clovertown processors. I did my dual 2ghz dual core to 2 2.33 quad cores. The highest is the 3ghz clovertowns. But the problem is you will be stuck on 32 bit unless apple comes out with a firmware upgrade, which is very doubtful. Plus, the clovertowns are still expensive. Check ebay for some used ones. If you have the cash, sell it and buy what you can afford. My 2.8 rocks and don't plan on upgrading for awhile. Good luck.

sphoenix77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Am presuming your Mac pro is the 1.1 version. If so, you can upgrade the processors using clovertown processors. I did my dual 2ghz dual core to 2 2.33 quad cores. The highest is the 3ghz clovertowns. But the problem is you will be stuck on 32 bit unless apple comes out with a firmware upgrade, which is very doubtful. Plus, the clovertowns are still expensive. Check ebay for some used ones. If you have the cash, sell it and buy what you can afford. My 2.8 rocks and don't plan on upgrading for awhile. Good luck.

thanks for the information... I'll search the forums. What did you mean though with 'stick in 32 bit'? Any idea why that would happen with just upgrading the processor

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
thanks for the information... I'll search the forums. What did you mean though with 'stick in 32 bit'? Any idea why that would happen with just upgrading the processor
The fastest Quad core you can use, is the X5365. As per the 32 bit aspect, that system uses EFI32, which restricts you to the 32 bit Kernel of OS X (MP 1,1 and 2,1 systems are EFI32 = '06 and '07 systems). '08 and newer use EFI64.

Currently, OS X has both K32 and K64 (both 32 and 64 Kernels), and K64 CANNOT work as you need EFI64. There will be no update to the firmware to make it EFI64. Worse, OS X won't support dual Kernel versions for long. It will disappear in either 10.7 or perhaps 10.8, as Apple's already announced that they won't keep it going (they don't like interim products, but didn't state which version would be the last to have dual Kernels).

It also is limiting you on graphics card choices, as the newer nVidia models are EFI64 only, while the ATI products are currently using EBC (EFI Byte Code), which allows them to work in either EFI32 or EFI64 based systems.

So long as your software will do what you need in 32 bit Kernel version, you're fine that way. ATI will likely continue to use EBC, so you may be able to continue upgrading graphics as needed before your system hits EOL for you.

Also, that system will run 64 bit Windows or Linux just fine, and under either of those operating systems, any PC PCIe graphics card will work, so long as there's drivers for the specific OS version used.

Odd that it's getting to the point it has more life as a Windows/Linux box, but there it is. :eek: :rolleyes: :apple:

sphoenix77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
The fastest Quad core you can use, is the X5365. As per the 32 bit aspect, that system uses EFI32, which restricts you to the 32 bit Kernel of OS X (MP 1,1 and 2,1 systems are EFI32 = '06 and '07 systems). '08 and newer use EFI64.

Currently, OS X has both K32 and K64 (both 32 and 64 Kernels), and K64 CANNOT work as you need EFI64. There will be no update to the firmware to make it EFI64. Worse, OS X won't support dual Kernel versions for long. It will disappear in either 10.7 or perhaps 10.8, as Apple's already announced that they won't keep it going (they don't like interim products, but didn't state which version would be the last to have dual Kernels).

It also is limiting you on graphics card choices, as the newer nVidia models are EFI64 only, while the ATI products are currently using EBC (EFI Byte Code), which allows them to work in either EFI32 or EFI64 based systems.

So long as your software will do what you need in 32 bit Kernel version, you're fine that way. ATI will likely continue to use EBC, so you may be able to continue upgrading graphics as needed before your system hits EOL for you.

Also, that system will run 64 bit Windows or Linux just fine, and under either of those operating systems, any PC PCIe graphics card will work, so long as there's drivers for the specific OS version used.

Odd that it's getting to the point it has more life as a Windows/Linux box, but there it is. :eek: :rolleyes: :apple:

thank you for educating me :) Hmm well then I need to get as much as I can out of this and maybe when the 6 cores come out, sell it and use the funds to help me get one. Would be nice to have a top of the line Mac for once...

kevboy73

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Dublin
Hi. Newbie here. I'm considering buying a used dual 3.0ghz powermac G5 which is currently running on OS 10.4 If I buy it, I'd probably like to upgrade the OS, but as I understand it, the highest update I can do is to OS 10.5 Leopard. If I want to go to a more recent OS, then I'd need to change the processors to intel processors.

My question is how easy and how expensive would it be to change the processors and would I need to change anything else in order to keep the same performance and useability? Sorry if this has already been covered, but I can't find an answer that I know is specific to this question and model. Thanks. K

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
The Powermac is using a different architecture and therefore you can't upgrade the processors to Intel (x86) ones. You would need to buy a completely different machine like the Mac Pro instead.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
I'm considering buying a used dual 3.0ghz powermac G5
By the way: AFAIK there never has been a 3GHz G5 processor in any Mac computer. Steve Jobs kind of promised it, but could never deliver because Motorola could not deliver on their promises (shortly afterwards the whole architecture went Intel ;)

So either the seller is mislabeling his machine and it is in fact a MacPro (which had been available with 3GHz CPU's and can be upgraded to processors with higher core count) or the 3GHz are wrong.

If it's the former, you may get an extraordinary good price on that machine, as "Powermacs" are completely outdated nowadays... (*hint, hint*) :cool: :D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm considering buying a used dual 3.0ghz powermac G5

By the way: AFAIK there never has been a 3GHz G5 processor in any Mac computer. Steve Jobs kind of promised it, but could never deliver because Motorola could not deliver on their promises (shortly afterwards the whole architecture went Intel ;)

So either the seller is mislabeling his machine and it is in fact a MacPro (which had been available with 3GHz CPU's and can be upgraded to processors with higher core count) or the 3GHz are wrong.

If it's the former, you may get an extraordinary good price on that machine, as "Powermacs" are completely outdated nowadays... (*hint, hint*) :cool: :D

Quite easy to tell between the two.

Ask for a picture of the front of the machine:
If it had two optical drive bays, then it's a Mac Pro. One optical drive bay means it's a Power Mac G5

If you need further evidence (or you have already have a few pictures) for example the power supply [and therefore the power plug] is on the top of the back chassis on the Mac Pro and on the bottom of the Power Mac G5.

basilt

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2016
looks like an 06 mac pro google clovertown upgrade many cpu options you can do

Thanks CapnDavey !
Right now my main problem is how to do the 1.1. to 2.1 upgrade, which will be done easily,
and next problem how to install old PPC cards on the macintel, if they work with FCP7 and
then move to the next higher OSX without incompatibilities etc. without loosing the FCP7 or FCPX
compatibility and need of higher video graphics, which i wont avoid at the end...

I will keep an update when i start at end of next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.