2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Vs G5 PM

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CCK, Mar 20, 2010.

1. CCK macrumors member

Well don't think I can wait till June, found a 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core in my area, that is very reasonable.

Will this comp blow away my 2Ghz G5 PM?

2. goMac macrumors 603

Yes. It won't even be funny.

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

jump to ludicrous speed

barefeets did a g5 quad vs dual 2.66 mac pro benchmark when the 1,1 systems came out, and the 2.66 was 30%-240% faster than the quad depending on the benchmark program. and that was with stock memory.

since the quad would kick the crap out of your g5, it's safe to say the mac pro would be way/crazy faster. at everything. :apple:

4. CCK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,
    It's got some software that I've wanted to try out for a while, that costs more than he's asking for the comp. This comp has every thing I need, so it'd be a turnkey system.

There's a 2.8 - 8-core bare bones, that would cost about $1,200 more to get it to the minimum I need minus the additional software.

I know the 2.8 is a far superior machine, still haven't made up my mind.

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I know it's a bit much to ask from local deals, but it would be a huge plus to find a machine with remaining AppleCare. Without any type of guarantee, it would bother me to invest that much into a machine of this age that could have a logic board failure in a few weeks.

As for choosing a machine, the 2008 is far better in all respects. I've had several of both, and there is absolutely no contest. If you find a good deal on the 2006 or one with AppleCare, I would settle for it with more RAM and an SSD to make it comparable :p

6. CCK thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, AC is very important to me. IMO the $ that some people are asking for old MP's with no protection is crazy.

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

depends on what you're doing. For day to day apple and creative suite usage, I notice essentially no difference between my G5 dual and my Xeon quad.