2x512 + 1x128 + 1 TB = Fusion Drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sergiobaschi, Jan 13, 2013.

1. sergiobaschi, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013

sergiobaschi macrumors regular

I was thinking about the fusion drive. I got the 1 TB version, and with the 32 GB of ram installed, there's not so much I can do to improve performance.

But in let's say 2 years, I get an external thunderbolt 2x512 GB SSD in RAID0 (in two years, that's hopefully a $150 deal), is it possible to fuse three drives into one fusion drive? And does OSX realize which SSD is the fastest, and therefore moves the OS to the external drives?

What do you think?

Edit: I've done some research, and no - not doable. Too bad.

2. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

you have the 1TB Fusion drive?

doubtful youll be able to combine all those, and honestly not worth the hassle.
    since it will create one large logical volume in the OS, i wouldnt trust it with an external drives to be honest.

3. majkom macrumors 65816

fusing 4 drives will definitely rise probability of failure - and if FD failed all your data on such a fused drive will be gone (and hopefully restored from backup:) )

4. chrfr macrumors 603

It would be of no advantage to create a Fusion Drive with 2 or more SSDs. The entire point is to gain the advantage of using larger, slower, less expensive storage from a spinning disk with the speed of an SSD. If everything's an SSD, just use them as-is.

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

$150 will def NOT happen in 2 years, not even 3 years, esp if you're talking about a thunderbolt enclosure.