3.0.1 Breaks Bluetooth Tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Demosthenes X, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The other night, I set up my iPhone 3G to tether over Bluetooth with my MacBook (running Tiger). While Apple only officially supports tethering on 10.5+, BT tethering on Tiger works fine.

Last night, I upgraded my iPhone to 3.0.1. The first time I upgraded broke the phone, and I had to do a complete restore. Today, I can no longer tether my iPhone - the option to Connect is greyed out, and nothing I do can force them to connect. If I try to connect from the phone, they connect for a second at best, but the connection fails.

I'm doing another restore right now, but I don't have much faith that will solve the problem. Any other thoughts/advice?

2. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Reboot your mac.

3. Demosthenes X thread starter macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I downgraded back to 3.0, and when that still didn't solve the problem, rebooted my Mac and now everything is just fine. I've no idea what that didn't occur to me before I downgraded the phone... I guess I figured the problem was the phone, not the computer.

:eek:

Ah, well. It's working now, so :D.

4. gadgetmom88 macrumors newbie

So does that mean that tethering is still working after the upgrade to 3.0.1? I've been holding off waiting to make sure it still works.

5. maroulis macrumors member

still works on 3.01.. in fact you don't have to reinstall the carrier settings when you upload the s/w to 3.01 :)

6. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

I had that happening to me a few times.. the bluetooth on my mac would refuse to connect to the iphone (option greyed out).

I think It happened everytime I put my mac to safe sleep.