3.0.1 software update BROKE MY 3GS SCREEN !!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mgpg89, Jul 31, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I did the 3.0.1 software update last night and at first it didn't work. Unknown error.

Put my iPhone into DFU mode and did a restore, did a recovery from a back-up I made a few minutes earlier and did the update.

I left the room, only to find a broken iPhone screen when I came back !!!
    The top 25% actually shows anything, the rest of the screen is just white.

I left the iPhone off for a few hours when I was asleep, hoping that would fix it, but it didn't.

I'll post some pictures when I get back from work and when I cool down.

2. Kelly Craig macrumors member

Kelly Craig

Try restoring again from DFU mode...

Bummer.
    I'd take that to an Applestore and make them fix it.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Have you tried doing a restore? And if you take a screenshot and it appears normal then it is probably a faulty screen and you should go here and schedule an appointment to have it checked out.

4. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Restoring it again probably won't do any good, but I'll try.

I'm positive it is in fact a broken screen, and not a software issue. The top 25% is showing crackles as well.
    The phone still works though ... apps launching, e-mails receiving, incoming calls, etc etc ...

I just can't see ****.

I live in Belgium, so there aren't any official Apple stores. Bought it from Mobistar, the official Belgian retailer, so I'm calling them when I get back from work in a few hours and hope they sort it out as professional as Apple would... but I won't count on it.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

As long as it's not cracked, you should be alright for a replacement. Sounds like a software glitch. Had that happen to two of my iPhones.....:(

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

7. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

This is weird, I think you'll be really lucky if you can get a replacement OP, chances are they won't believe you. Good luck.

8. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Damn, forgot to take any pictures. Just brought it to the store. Now they're going to check for water and/or regular damage, and if that isn't the case, I'm getting a new device.

And I didn't drop it or let any liquid near it.
    So I guess I'm safe.

Keep you updated in 2 weeks when I hear back from the store.

9. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Two weeks? Why does it take two weeks to look at a phone? Is there that much of a backlog of iphone issues?:confused:

10. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Please keep in mind it's not Apple I'm dealing with directly.

Mobistar (a Belgian provider) is the official iPhone dealer in Belgium, so I have to go through them ... Dealing with companies like this makes me appreciate Apple's customer service even more.

Nothing to do about it though.

11. GeneralP macrumors member

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Why?

13. GeneralP macrumors member

how does a software update affect the mechanics of a device?

the OP said

with the exception of the phone overheating and causing a stress fracture or a mechanical short please tell me how a software update can cause physical damage.

plus as so many of you have said before... didn't happen unless there are pictures

14. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Seriously, I'm not going to waste my time trying to 'convince' you.

15. GeneralP macrumors member

Dont want or need you to.. Just said without pictures it sounds fishy

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There's a a forum for pictures taken with your iPhone, if you want to look at pictures. :) The OP's having a pic of his problem wouldn't show it is a software or hardware issue, definitively. I'd still try a DFU restore to make sure, but that's up to the OP.

17. GeneralP macrumors member

I said Picture... not screen shot... and yes a picture would give us a better idea of what he is talking about. you can tell ALOT from the way the screen is broken, you can tell whether it was an impact from the edge because it radiates from the side, or if it was an impact to the face because of the bulls eye effect,, you can also tell if it was heat related. we already know that there is a software issue because he said that it crashed while being updated (who said Macs dont crash) I agree that doing a DFU restore would be resolution for the software but not a glass or screen fix. There is also a difference between the screen and the glass and I am still waiting for someone to explain how the software can really break the hardware?!

besides the OP already sent it off to apple because he is overseas. This thread should be closed. It is no longer helpful.

18. Kelly Craig macrumors member

Kelly Craig

Yes, a picture can say a thousand words, a screenshot really only counts for 12 :p

A software update affecting a screen is possible, but when in doubt the simplest explanation is most always the most correct. In the iPhone world, physical trauma and screen damage go hand in hand.

19. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Well aren't we the expert after one month of MacRumors registration? My post saying "Why?" was simply for one reason:

Why would he make this up? Whether he's describing the situation correctly or not, it seems calling someone a liar is a bit far-fetched, especially when there's nothing to (apparently) gain out of it.

20. GeneralP macrumors member

well since YOU seem to be the expert about iPhones and mac since you have been a member since 2005.. why didnt you bring anything useful to this conversation? All you did was jump on me! I never called him a liar, those are your words. I said that I was doubtful of his situation, which other posters have sided with me... if it walks like a duck and looks like a duck... its not an iphone with hardware damage caused by SOFTWARE.

21. Kelly Craig macrumors member

Kelly Craig

I would tend to agree that calling someone out as a liar is far-fetched, but it wouldn't be the first time someone has lied about a screen breaking itself on an iPhone ;)

Either way what is done is done and it's not something "we" can fix, so in shirt that should be the end of it.

Good luck to the OP on having this problem resolved as soon as possible and with as little cost to him as possible.

22. Kelly Craig macrumors member

Kelly Craig

You've seen iPhone that walk and quack? (wants one)

anyhow, I never saw the OP state that the problem was hardware related.
    A software/firmware BTW can in fact hose the integrated graphics controller if it went wrong.
    Anything is possible, some things are just more highly improbable.

23. GeneralP macrumors member

well I have seen people say their Phones "were never near water!" and have the internal moisture detection units tripped, I have seen people with scuff marks all over their phones say they "never dropped them" I have seen people with broken screens say "it happened while it was just sitting there!"

The OP said

"Originally Posted by mgpg89
    Restoring it again probably won't do any good, but I'll try.

I'm positive it is in fact a broken screen, and not a software issue. The top 25% is showing crackles as well.
    The phone still works though ... apps launching, e-mails receiving, incoming calls, etc etc ..."

The Original Poster said there were "CRACKLES" Thats Physical damage.

I never called the OP a LIAR I said the whole thing sounds fishy... and it still does

24. Kelly Craig macrumors member

Kelly Craig

25. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

'Crackles' isn't the correct term ... 'crackles' sounds like physical damage, indeed.

I'll describe the screen as accurate as possible:

The top 25% of the screen (right up to where the time bar in locked mode shows) was still visible, albeit with some (lighter) horizontal lines.
    Then, you can clearly see the screen 'stops working' at a certain pixel, and from that pixel on, all pixels are dead. (meaning: all pixels to its right and all the lines below)

The touch screen still works. If I unlock the screen by sliding the bar (which I can't see, but I know it's there after using the iPhone ... before I'm being called a liar again) only the top 4 apps show ... and depending on which app I launch, the color of the lower 75% of the app changes.

It looks as if all the dead pixels have the color of the one pixel where all other pixels stopped working ... if that makes any sense ...

Any other question? Fire away