3.0.1 to iOS4: Best Upgrade Path

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by LostTitan, Jun 28, 2010.

1. LostTitan macrumors newbie

I am currently running version 3.0.1 (firmware 04.26.08) on an iPhone 3GS. Phone has never been jailbroken. I have remained at 3.0.1 so that I can enable tethering.

I am now ready to upgrade to iOS4 but want to leave the possibility of allowing the phone to be jailbroken/unlocked. Is this possible? If so, do I simply use the latest Pwnage tool?

Are there any advantages to keeping this firmware (04.26.08) and, if so, is there a way to save the firmware for later restore?

I have read where having the latest firmware will have less dropped calls, so I have no problem upgrading, just would like to know what I am losing (resale value, perhaps?).

2. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

This is not possible at the moment, as there is no jailbreak for iOS 4.0 for the 3GS.

Depending on if your 3GS has the new or old bootrom, you may be able to upgrade to a cooked iOS 4.0 ipsw, but to do so you must jailbreak your iPhone first.

3. oren1 macrumors member

I don't think it's possible to have 3.0.1 and the new bootrom...

4. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

Haha I didn't catch that. :p

So yeah, it is possible to go straight to jailbroken iOS4, but it is NOT possible to go to stock iOS4 and then jailbreak it at the moment.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yes, old bootrom on 3GS

No, for 3GS

6. Eric L macrumors member

I'm in the same boat, old bootrom 3.0.1 (for tether). Never jailbroken. I know very little about jailbreaking. Please clarify the steps I need to upgrade to JB 4.0.1:
    1) JB to 3.0.1 (why is this req to JB 4.0?) (can I use the latest pwnage to JB the 3.0.1?)
    2) load the 4.0.1 through iTunes
    3) run pwnage on the 4.0.1 so I can
    4) Load Rock so I can get MyWi
    5) done

Is this right?

7. The General macrumors 601

If you're on unjailbroken 3.0.1, just do this:

1. jailbreak with redsn0w
    2. use pwnage tool to make jailbroken 4.0 firmware package
    3. option click restore in itunes and choose the firmware package you just made

done

DO NOT INSTALL 4.0 FROM ITUNES THE NORMAL WAY. DOING THAT IN YOUR SITUATION WOULD MAKE JAILBREAKING AND UNLOCKING IMPOSSIBLE AT THE MOMENT.

8. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

I was speaking in terms of the OP. If I was speaking in general, then yes, my statement would be incorrect. :p

9. LostTitan thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it.

So I now have a jailbroken 3gs running iOS4 and kept my baseband at 04.26.08. (FYI, I needed to use redsn0w 0.8 for initial j/b as newer versions would not recognize iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw for some reason)

I was reading on one of the forums that I should upgrade my baseband as I would experience fewer dropped calls. Since I am now running iOS4, how would I upgrade my baseband and which version should I upgrade to?

After that, my last step is to get tethering working, so if anyone has any thoughts on this, please post a reply.

Thanks again!

10. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

For you, there is no way to upgrade your baseband as you must upgrade to a higher official firmware, downgrade back, jailbreak, and use pwnage tool. You cannot downgrade to any firmware because you do not have any shsh blobs saved. You are stuck to installing the official iOS 4.0 to upgrade your baseband, which would make your 3Gs unjailbreakable.

11. bhattsan macrumors member

Is it possible to use older itunes versions that don't have the server checking stuff or no?

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I want to upgrade my 3gs from 3.1.2 to 4.0, I just use Redsn0w??

13. lukinuk macrumors newbie

How to upgrade from 3.0.1 to 4.0.1

Hi, I have 3GS with ver 3.0.1 Jailbroken with 3.0 IPSW file and Redsn0w 0.8.
    My question is how to upgrade to 4.0.1 and keep all apps and jailbrake as it is? Is it poss and if yes, how?

14. loonieryan macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3GS on baseband 04.26.08 and iOS 3.0.1 (7A400). I jailbroke it using redsn0w over a year ago.

I'd like to upgrade to iOS 4.0.1 but can't figure out what the right procedure is and what tool to use.

Should I backup in iTunes, then update to 4.0.1 using iTunes, then jailbreak using redsn0w 0.9.5b on the 4.0 IPSW?

TIA

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Do not upgrade in Itunes you will be stuck without JB and UL. Read the post from the General and use that process to upgrade to a customer IPSW.
    I assume you have the old bootrom but you should check that first.

16. loonieryan macrumors newbie

Thanks, but now I'm even more confused.

Where is "the post from the General"?

How do I check if I have "the old bootrom" and what does that mean?

17. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

The first thing you need to do right away is download tinyumbrella and store you SHSH for 4.0.1 . Like right now because the window will close soon and this will leave you a path in case anything happens.

18. loonieryan macrumors newbie

Done, thanks.

Now I still need to figure out what the right upgrade path is to get to jailbroken 4.0.1 from jailbroken 3.0.1.

If somebody can point me to a guide or correct the steps below then that would be greatly appreciated:
    - Backup in iTunes
    - Update to 4.0.1 using iTunes
    - Jailbreak using redsn0w 0.9.5b on the 4.0 IPSW
    - Restore?

19. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The post from the General was two or three back in the same Thread surprised you did not see it. However here is a tutorial. Again Itunes will update you to 4.0.2 you do not want to upgrade by that route.

Use this tutorial.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=10217

20. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Once you are at 4.0.1 go to jailbreakme.com and slide to jailbreak.

21. loonieryan macrumors newbie

So everyone is referring to the post above. I've read this post, but the problem is I don't have a Mac to run pwnage on. Windows only :(

I guess I've got Step 1 covered since my 3GS is already jailbroken.

For step 2: can I use redsn0w to jailbreak a 4.0.1 IPSW?

Step 3 is pretty straightforward.

So really I'm just confused about how to use redsn0w since I'm on Windows.

Thanks

22. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

1) Start TSS Server in TinyUmbrella
    2) Select your 4.0.1 official apple .ispw
    3) Once on 4.0.1 activate the iPhone with iTunes
    4) Once the phone is working go to jailbreakme.com ON THE iPHONE and jb

You only need redsnow if you need to hackivate the iPhone.

23. loonieryan macrumors newbie

This is the part that is ambiguous to me and I'm trying to get an answer for in all of my previous posts and it has yet to be clarified :)

Where do I select 4.0.1? In TinyUmbrella? If so, I don't see any option there to load an IPSW.

"Once on 4.0.1 activate the iPhone with iTunes" <-- How do I get on to 4.0.1 and then what does "activate the iPhone with iTunes" mean?

TIA

24. lukinuk macrumors newbie

Going from 3.0.1 (old Boot) to 4.0

Just done it after 5 hours of researching and webbing, some of you may have a problem with downloading correct IPSW, (I downloaded few until get correct not because I did not know what to look for but some files are corrupted and do not work with pwnage tool)
    I hope this will help. Good luck:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=10217